Mar 25, 2009

WPTM #10: Worthy and Lovable

What Parenting Teaches Me #10: Worthy and Lovable


When I pick up Anna from her crib, I can't help but plant my lips on her sweet cheeks and kiss her and breathe her in and tell her I love her.

When I am holding Noah, I can't help but squeeze him real close and kiss and tickle him, and tell him how much I love him.

It's like instinct. The love and affection just come out of me for them. And I imagine it is the same for our Father when he looks upon us. Just love.

I am reading The Shack and it had a similar point in a chapter I read last night. The father falls before a judge and begs to give his life for each of his children...begs to go to hell for them so that they don't have to. The judge points out how bad his kids can be, have been, and the father is of course unmoved in his choice to take their place....because they are still his own, still worthy of his love. The judge (who is wisdom) points out to the father that that is exactly how Jesus was able to die for sinners. He sees us and sees worth, sees his love for us. What a wonderful reminder that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

That thought lifts me up when I feel down or discouraged about myself and my mean heart. It is just the encouragement I need to try to be better, to love better, to serve God with my decisions and obedience. Because he sees me as worthy, as lovable, as perfect as the blood of Jesus. He has as pure an affection for me as I have for my babies...probably even more. I couldn't possibly have an emotion that didn't originate with Him and I couldn't possibly feel something deeper than he does.

So when I am taken aback by what I feel for Noah and Anna, I am also taken aback to think how God feels that for me.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Good thoughts! And again. Fantastic insight!

Alison said...

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Shack. I thought it was a fantastic book...for those that have a firm grasp on what they believe. I definitly wouldn't recommend it to someone looking for answers, but there were so many good points in it that really challenged me!

Unknown said...

I love these posts! and Amen!!!

Kimberly said...

Alison: That is where I am at with the Shack. I almost finished it last night by the way... 1 chapter to go. I can't say I am a big fan of the style and concept of story, but I can certainly agree that there are some very bright moments and spiritual concepts that make it worthwhile.

Overall, is it bad that I kind of found it cheesy and way too boring to me because of all the detailed details?

Kate said...

I agree with you about The Shack being too detailed. I read the beginning and skimmed through the rest.