Jan 31, 2011

Taa Daa: Paint Chip Art

I got totally jazzed about a paint chip home decor project I saw done on a number of blogs.  So I jumped in at full throttle and made one of my own.  In total, this home decor piece cost me nothing.  Gotta love that. 


Supplies needed were:  paint chips (free), spray adhesive (already had), mod podge (already had), stain (already had), plywood or other base (already had), husband with a jigsaw to cut my board to the right size (already had).  You just lay out your design, spray adhesive the back of the chips to the plywood, mod podge 3 coats on top, and stain to desired tinting. 


It's actually taking me longer to figure out where I want to put it.  On the mantle?  In Noah's room?  On a wall?  Frame it?  For now, it will sit here so I can admire it. I AM starting to think I should have made it a little bigger though....

10 comments:

Heather said...

Kimmie, I love this! I looked at your the other blogs you posted on facebook and it looks so easy. I might try it. Although I have none of the needed supplies, including the handy husband...(husband,yes...handy, no), it may cost me a little bit, but shouldn't be too much.

Kimberly said...

Cheap, still, for sure. Several of the others said they only spent about $10. You could use an old unused frame - glue to the glass part. Could even use a big piece of cardboard. Glue stick could work for the adhesive. Would just go slower. And I forgot the gold pain mixed in the last mod pdge coat.

Kimberly said...

I got cut off there -sorry. What I was also going to say was that the only must have would be the mod podge. :)

This would be a fun one to have the kids help you with...you know, if you aren't OCD about it like i was. There was not a chance I was gonna have the kids touch mine.

Heather said...

I found out a few years ago making a gingerbread house, that I am completely OCD when it comes to doing things like this. I did give up and eventually after my husband reminded me it was a kids project did let them take that over. However, there is no way I'd let them come near me doing this project. Perfection is the key! :) Or something like that!

Amy Faye Brown said...

very cool!

Cindy said...

Cute! You could make and sell these on Etsy ;-)

Kimberly said...

And if/when I ever got there, you would certainly be my ETSY guru. Josh josh brought that idea up last night, too, actually ...that one day after the kids are grown a little more, it would be fun to have a crafting stand at the fair or something. Between my crafty interested and his handy woodworking skills, we could have a good time. And a profitable one, too. :)

Emily said...

GREAT JOB KIMBERLY! I don't have any of those things in my house...so that would be a bit more than free for me to make, but I really do like it!

I think I'll work on my hoops instead :)

Kimberly said...

And I can't wait to see those hoops, too.

Unknown said...

What a cool idea! Great job.