Jan 30, 2011

Recipe: Breakfast Sandwich

*** small addendum - this recipe only made it a week before it started just grossing me out altogether.  Me and eggs just have a love/hate relationship no matter how hard I try to ignore it.  Sorry, morning muffin! ***

I really need breakfast each day.  I suspect I get many of my morning migraines because I am hungry. But I am one PICKY breakfast eater.  If I don't like what we have, I just plain don't eat - even if I'm starving.  I also won't put much time into making breakfast, so that really limits my choices again.  For the past 6 months, I have found a quick little mini chicken biscuit brand that heats up in 27 seconds.  That works for me because it's meat, it's quick, it's tasty.  What doesn't work for me, now that I am trying to follow some of Food Rules' food rules, is that it's probably not real healthy and it has so many preservatives and engineered chemicals, I bet.  And they aren't cheap. 

So when I ran across this duh! recipe this week, I was interested.  I made it this morning on our way out the door for church and have since dubbed it my new breakfast normal.  Still quick, still tasty, but now healthier ... and cheaper, too!

Breakfast Sandwich (aka Homemade Egg McMuffin)
  • One whole wheat english muffin, toasted
  • One slice of cheese
  • One egg
Spray a coffee mug with cooking spray.  Crack the egg in the mug and scramble with a fork.  Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for 40 seconds.  Place the cheese slice on one side of the muffin, top with egg, and the other muffin half, and enjoy.

Add other ingredients to taste:  hot sauce, canadian bacon, sausage, etc....

4 comments:

Amy Faye Brown said...

Used to do this back in my Weight Watchers days (hmmm, maybe I should return to them). Anyway, always added canadian bacon and it was always low in points. Good protein and fiber.

Emily said...

yum! I'll be trying that!

Heather said...

Never thought of the egg in the coffee cup. For some unknown reason, I always dread making eggs. It only takes 5 minutes to do I know. So this is super helpful!

Kimberly said...

For some unknown reason, I am hesitant to eat eggs prepared by others, so this recipe actually lets me enjoy an Egg McMuffin for once in my life. I know just how the egg was prepared and how fresh it is. :)