Jan 31, 2011

Noah: Curls and Commentary

Oh, be still my heart!  As if he wasn't cute enough already, look at these cherubic curls!  {Love}


Josh, for some crazy reason, wants to cut his hair so badly, but I am BEYOND in love with this luscious head of hair and will NOT allow it.  You hear me?  Not. A. Chance!  This little 'fro has been a huge success if you ask me, and I was the first and antsiest critic.  Now I just melt and grin and coo.  And I can't help lightly patting the top of his head and saying, "Boingy, Boingy, Boingy."  These curls are so thick, so sweet, so ... curly!  {Oh, Love.}

Speaking of love, here are some quotes from my curly love bug at 4 1/2. Lately, my favorite thing about him, besides the curls, is his eager and positive spirit.  {Love}
  • While playing in their new kitchen set, he explained to me, "I da Dad and Anna's da Mom cuz she's at da buggy."
  • Contemplating the gifting protocol once Mimmie and Papa brought the Batman Cave he'd already told SANTA about:  "Maybe Santa gonna bwing me TWO Batman Caves?" I said he'll probably bring some other surprises now.  "I know! Maybe Santa bwing me a tennis ball now!"  I melted at his excitement about a tennis ball of all things.
  • While he waited for me to get off the iPad so he could play on it, he hinted, "{loud, exaggerated sigh} I finkin my brain wants to pway iPad.  I finkin."
  • We've been reminding Noah to ask the Lord for help in making right choices - usually regarding how he gets along with Anna.  One day, he literally stopped mid-outcry when Anna started touching the toys he was using and his flesh wanted to yell "Mine."  He looked at me all excited and said,  "God said me, [in] my brain, share wif Anna!"
  • When I told him that when he is praying is not the time to be silly, he reasoned, "God wikes siwwy words."
  • When he counts, I hear some of the sweetest numbers out there:  Awevven (11), Firty Free (33),  Firty Seden (37)
  • He still uses a number of precious preschool grammar and pronunciation:  Him's a nice guy.   Dank you taking us dare (thank you for taking us there).  Gumote (remote), Shellfish (selfish), Portend (pretend), Dizzyward (Disneyworld), I not notice dat! (I didn't know that).
  • It KILLS me when he retells things by explaining they happened back when he was a kid.
  • "Daddy, when I gwow up, on next Friday, you teach me how to make this lego?"
  • I don't know where he learned to ask this, but a lot lately he will offer to help us do one one thing or another by asking, "Do you need a wittle boy to help you?"
  • He pointed to my loose cover-up type jacket and said, "Hey! You dwessed wike a Jedi!"
  • "Mommy - I finkin Chewie wuvs me.  He wants to keep me cuz he wuvs me."
  • After he sang long and strong to a song on the radio, he said, "You wike my boice(voice), Mommy? "  I said, I did.  I always do.  He said,  "I finking I awmost weddy for singin on dat {stammer, studder, hem and haw} on dat, on dat ... speaker."  You mean, radio?  "Yeah, on dat wadio."  And I assured him I would be so proud to hear him on the radio one day.
  • When I got grumpy on Saturday and he heard me snap at Josh, he said with frank sincerity, "I finkin' you need a time out."  I couldn't have agreed with him more.
  • As I worked in the kitchen trying a new recipe for dinner, Noah ran by on his way out the door and called back over his shoulder, "It gonna taste gooooood!"  {Love}
  • Josh predicts it will only be a matter of days or months before Noah comes home from school with a note about his language learned from me:  "Oh. My. Freakin'. Gosh!"  He's never copied this phrase before, but I know Josh is right.  Duly noted, I say.

5 comments:

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I love these posts filled with Noah comments... and wholeheartedly agree with you that the curls are something to love too!

God telling him he should share... priceless. And my favorite from this list. Well, either that one or that you needed a time out. ;)

Finkin'... based on this list it sounds like your boy does a lot of finkin'. :)

Josh's prediction just may prove to be correct sooner or later. I think that it was for this reason, that one of my mom's friends adopted the phrase "Good Night Nurse" as a replacement when her daughter was younger. After growing up around it, I still use it on occasion, though more often then not I find myself using "Oh My Word."

Kimberly said...

I know! It is a reality check that he is growing up more and more every time he pipes us about what he has been finkin' ... ang dreaming about lately, as well. :)

I do Oh My Word a lot, too. And that one Noah DOES say. But he says it so much breath-ier and slower. You can tell it feels novel on his tongue. ;) But yes, I know, got to curb the "freakin'" or just curb the impatience that causes me to blurt it out.

Amy Faye Brown said...

I'm just a puddle right now.




We're trying to curb our use of slang in this house and I have to confess freakin' is my big one. It hits home how horrible it really does sound once you hear it out of the mouth of one of your babes, well in my case teen/preteen. JM chastised Aaron for using geez this morning. And, not realizing it, it's just slang for using the name of our Savior in vain.


Love all those curls. Fight for them!

Love the sincere sweetness of that boy! Can't wait to see him again soon.

Kimberly said...

I hear ya on the 'geez' part. I have never been able to say that one because I know what it is short for - although you are right, most people aren't really aware of it. Then again, I guess I know what "freaking" is short for, too, but it makes it no less easy to break the habit. Let's hope I don't have to chagrined by his teacher one day to finally nip that one in the bud!

I like that - Fight for them - That is just what I will do. :)

Unknown said...

I'm lobbying for the curls to stay too. Love love love them!

I just smiled through them all especially how God told him to share with Anna.

I say "freakin" too much too! I hate that I do it knowing what it's short for and that word is just repulsive to me.