Apr 17, 2009

Thoughts on Twilight

So I finally read this book, and I hope I don't earn any enemies by saying this, but I just thought it was OK. To be fair, it was good enough for me to read the whole thing in about 3 days, but not good enough that I am going to bother reading the series. It's a good story, but for me, it really dragged out. I finally got really into it during the baseball game fallout and on through the end of the book. I think, more than anything, I got really tired of reading the same thing over and over again. Things like how cold, icy, or cool Edwards hands, lips, face were. Things like how clumsy Bella was. Things like how beautiful Edward was and how Bella's heart would skip a beat when she saw or touched him. I think the author reminded us of that at every single glance, interchange, and conversation between or about the two. And how could I forget how many times it was explained how safe Bella was with Edward and how he would never hurt her, but then again in that same breath, he would warn her how bad he was for her health, what a danger he was to her. Make up your mind already!

And even as I read a glimpse into the next book, New Moon, it continued on to that effect. I just don't think I can put myself through the repetition again.

But I will still see the movies, for sure. In fact, I can't wait to watch Twilight On Demand tonight! So I guess, overall, I give the story a C+, ok, B-. Definately, good enough to finish (and rather quickly at that), but not so great I would rave about it.

10 comments:

Emily said...

I expected that review from you. I must know you or something.

Alison said...

Interesting...you are the first female I've heard that hasn't enjoyed the books. In all fairness, I took about a month break between books 2 and 3, but I couldn't get through 3 and 4 fast enough - I had to know the ending!

I think book 2 is where Jacob really comes into the picture - it becomes a whole different story. Edward leaves at the end of 1, correct?

Kimberly said...

What?! Edward leaves?!

You are totally trying to bait me into reading the rest now aren't you?

Alison said...

Sorry...didn't mean to spoil it - I really thought the ending of book one was him leaving. I guess it is at the beginning of book 2.

So, yes, Edward leaves, but you didn't hear it from me...

Unknown said...

I haven't read it yet and I'm not sure that I will. When books gets hyped up, I tend to avoid it or I give in and find that it's overrated. I did skip and watch the movie. I liked it. Definitely a cliff hanger in the end.

Kimberly said...

Ok, Ok. I just watched the movie and loved it....except for the changes it made in places, but overall...loved it. I think because it could most faster than the book did, but I knew what it was skipping over thanks to reading the book.

The movie has me hooked to read the other books now...I will just have to read more patiently I guess. :)

Joshua said...

This may be a little late, but here's a little warning out there to all the fellas. If your honey says something about renting a vampire movie this weekend, don't get all excited thinking your wife has come around. This is really a cheesy chick flick disguised with some so-called vamps. It's all there: cheesy glances, slight touches, laying side by side in the grass, and oh yes, tons of sappy instrumental music to add to the romantic effect. There was one cool scene where a vamp gets dismembered and thrown in the fire, but they kept that in the out-of-focus background. If you do get sucked in make sure to catch the deer killing just after the opening credits, take a long xbox break, and come back for the fuzzy vamp fire.

Emily said...

so wait...you're going ot read the rest? Just remember, Book 2 is kind of slow...but then you'll fly through 3 and 4...I read 3 AND 4 in 3 days. That good.

Amy Faye Brown said...

Boo hiss!
From a mom of a teen girl, I had to read it before her, fell in love with it, etc. Books - A-;movie - C. I have decided she's only allowed to date vampires and only the ones like the Cullens. Takes care of the whole abstinence, safe sex issue.

Kimberly said...

Amy: That is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time!