Apr 13, 2009

Easter Hooky

We really like Easter. We celebrate it every year. We teach Noah about Jesus and the cross. (btw - we love the child-friendly rendering of the Easter story in this book: An Easter Gift for Me by Crystal Bowman). But somehow, we Browns seem to have created an un-official tradition of NOT going to church that day. We haven't attended an Easter service in 3 years now. I know, I know...how un-Christian of us. Boo, Hiss. Really though, I would say it is more to the effect of being un-churchy - and that doesn't bother us so much. Anyway, I say this to explain why I don't have some precious pictures of my babies in their Sunday best Easter outfits. Oddly enough, I did buy Noah something to wear specifically for Easter. But it was too chilly to wear it yesterday anyway. I didn't need to buy Anna something because she already has too many precious things to wear. (Don't worry...I am sure I will post a photo-gallery later this summer of all her sweet duds.)

So instead of the regular Easter-service regimen and mob scene that usually accompanies this one Sunday morning per year, we stayed home and cooked a hearty breakfast and took a walk in the cool air to the park. Noah delighted in certain Easter basket treasures, although his overall reaction was so subdued that none of the pictures I took were keepers...they were that blah. I guess it's ok if he just doesn't fall all over himself for the Easter basket tradition. We'll see. He could just be too young to quite get it yet. I'll tell you what is even more of a let down than Noah's blah Easter basket reaction though- the fact that I forgot to even take a picture of the FABULOUS Easter basket I put together for him. I was pretty proud of the final product...so sad that it only lives in my memory now. Ah, well, there is always next year.

I did keep one cute shot of Noah coming down the stairs and spotting the Easter Egg trail guiding him to his basket.

Noah's Easter Egg tribe of characters we made the night before...

And for no reason whatsoever, we dressed Anna up in her bathing suit just to see her in it. Hurry up, summer, hurry up!

A pic of Noah and Anna with Mimmie and Papa who came to spend the night and visit with us for the holiday.

Anyway, after breakfast, and baskets, and parks, and such, we spent the sunny day outside, chatted with neighbors, Josh built a tv stand for us, and Noah got to help mow the yard. Then we ate Cracker Barrel carryout for dinner and gobbled some more candy before bedtime. We quite liked the day. You'll just have to forgive us our Easter hooky habits. :)

5 comments:

Memaw said...

My Easter turned a little hectic when our pianist/Easter performance
leader called me to say she is very
sick and I will just have to take
over all her jobs Sunday morning.
This plus dinner at our house, and
teaching Sunday School. God is so
gracious. I was able to complete all tasks, if not perfectly, then
more than passable. I even had a lot of fun leading the choir.
Also being memaw and picking roses
for the girls to put on the cross
on the front porch of the church,
which was beautiful. Easter egg
hunts in the front yard are always
fun especially with Aunt Kathy and
Jakob to join us. Hope to be with
Noah and Anna one Easter soon to
enjoy the day with them.

sosagtsie said...

I love the pictures!

and don't feel bad about not going to church on Easter - we actually haven't been to an Easter service since the boys were born. Someone (sometimes several someones) is always sick or just getting over being sick. Arg!

Alison said...

It's not so bad, Kimberly. Maybe next year you can make a go at it.

We didn't get a single picture the entire day...none of the easter baskets either :(. In Kara's were some of those crayola balls you love - how in the world do you keep the crayons in them?? The kids kept pulling them out - they were driving me crazy! I swear I would have them in there so tight, but the kids would twist them and out they came...grrr...

Kimberly said...

Alison: By the time Noah would have known or even been able to pull the crayons out we had just gone to the giant triangle shaped crayons. :) Sounds like you should, too.

Kate said...

I like your idea of having an Easter egg trail!