Aug 22, 2011

ML: Once Upon a Time

Memory Lane ...

This month, Josh and I have finally known each other 10 years.  We met August 2nd, 2001, to be exact.  So it was a fun surprise last week to receive an email from a friend recalling that time 10 years ago and a bit before.

Once upon a time, I first met Elizabeth online when she introduced herself specifically to me in an email after she had reconnected with Josh not long after he started his blog.  It really meant a lot to me that she was aware and considerate enough to be sure I knew who she was and not have to worry that she was some chicky from his past come back to flirt with him. :) That was 3 years ago.  I knew she was my kind of girl right away and we have stayed in touch ever since.  We have a lot in common and she always makes me grin by how much I can relate to her.  As well, the following email from her last week made me grin again...

Once upon a time, I was friends with a girl at UF named Stephanie. She was a really nice girl who had had a really not nice childhood and wanted to find a really nice Christian guy. I didn't have many guy friends growing up... in fact Josh was one of about three or four for me in high school, but of those he was definitely the best. The nicest. The one you'd want your friend to date and marry.

So once upon a time, I was a bit disappointed to find out from my mom that Josh had met a girl named Kim. Not that I probably would have ever introduced him to Steph because I had lost touch with him, but still there was a chance I suppose.

I don't keep in touch with Steph very much anymore... maybe once a year or so?...and she's married with two kids now.  But earlier this evening I responded to an email from her and just now as I was doing dishes I was reminded of my matchmaking thoughts once-upon-a-time at UF. 

And you know what, I'm glad it never worked out. You're a much better fit for Josh. In fact, you're just right for each other. And it's been fun to see the way you've fit so nicely into his family. 

And I've really enjoyed getting to know you.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that if we had been friends at university, I would have been trying to think of a way to introduce you to Josh. :-)

It's funny to recall also, Elizabeth, that your mom and your sister came to our wedding.  I remember meeting them there but meeting them in a way you meet someone you don't expect you'll ever really know.  I still don't really know them, but it is neat to come to know about them more through my friendship with you.  So glad our paths crossed.  It's a good thing I met that Josh/Matthew boy 10 years ago ... how else would I have ever made such a genuine and thoughtful friend in you?  : D

6 comments:

Memaw said...

This was so sweet to read, thank you for sharing it with us. Friends like Elizabeth are hard to find. YOU and she are very special young women. I am proud to have you as my daughter-in-law.

Kimberly said...

Carol, you are too sweet to me.

Emily said...

Thank you for that comment Carol! I absolutely love love LOVE hearing that directed at my sister. :) She IS special to me too. :)

What a neat post! I dont' even know Elizabeth, but l like her anyway :)

Kimberly said...

Well, NOW I am downright blushing. :S

Unknown said...

Now when you have your MIL's approval, you're pretty awesome! Hehehe
What's not to love though? You're pretty great!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Reading this made me smile. :-)