Jan 15, 2016

Social on Thursday

Jonah's Journey hosted a Mom's Night Out Dinner and Open House for all us caregiver moms last night.  I {really} only comfortably knew a couple faces beyond JJ staff and would normally shy away from showing up at all because of that.  But for some reason, I was determined to attend and just knew it would be worthwhile.  

And it was.  It so was.  Support is such an important part of this foster life.  Being with others who are going through it too is encouraging.  Hearing their stories and seeing how similar their experiences are to yours is normalizing. Meeting new people and getting to know others better is energizing.  And getting stocked up on all sorts of foster life gear and baby necessities for free is just plain relieving.  So.  All that to say, it was a night welllllllll spent and it took me awhile to wind down after I got home, I was so pumped.  Also, I was proud of myself for walking up to complete strangers and asking their names and finding out how we sort of knew of or about each other already and gabbing like old friends within seconds. 

I am sorry I don't have any pics besides this lame one I snapped before a small tour began.  


This isn't everyone who came ... I would guess about 30 of us were there.  Such a great group of women to rub shoulders with and enjoy kid-free down time with as well.  We've all agreed we MUST do this again.  And I added that we must take a decent group pic next time, too. Thankful for this community!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Good for you for stepping out there and being a part of the bigger community :)


... I would have hesitated too though :) haha.

Kimberly said...

Seriously. Every time it was so satisfying to realize I just faced down a fear a little bit. Every time I found out there was nothing to fear at all. :) Just people. Probably stuck in their heads just like me! Except I didn't stay stuck.