Apr 19, 2011

Kids+Kimmie+Kite

We tried a kite today for the first time ever.  Anna turned out to be a natural working the string and steering the kite. I was really impressed actually.  And surprised! This was on just her first or second try...



Noah was not so natural at it.  He was awkward with his hands and unsure of how hard to pull and move the string. He started shying away after several failed attempts, especially after accidentally letting go of the string and losing the kite over the fence.  But I insisted he keep at it and I kept coaching as best I could.

 

His spirit was so defeated after he struggled with something that Anna did without any help.  Thankfully, he got a few good gusts of wind that kept him afloat and his confidence soared right along with his kite.


I'm a little proud of myself as well.  This is the sort of activity I usually leave to Josh to do with the kids. The day I got the kite, however, ended up being less windy than we'd hoped a couple weeks ago.  So we've been waiting for a suitably windy day since.  And wouldn't you know Josh left for a trip today when it finally got good and windy.  So I sucked it up and tackled the project myself.  With a camera in tow as well - Go me! Now look whose confidence is soaring. Ha!

It was really easy and fun and satisfying.  I can tell it'll be something we get into living in this area with the kind of weather we seem to keep having.  I can't wait to see Noah show Josh what he can do with a kite next chance we get.  :)

4 comments:

Emily said...

Doesn't it feel good when you tackle things like that that are normally daddy things to do with the kids? Good job! They sure enjoyed it!

Amy Faye Brown said...

What fun!
Great experience for you and them!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I really enjoyed this post... mostly I enjoyed that super adorable picture of that tiny two-year-old with a kite. :)

Kimberly said...

I know, right, Elizabeth? That kite, though normal kite size, is bigger than she is!