Aug 30, 2009

The Desert Song

I loved this song sung in worship today. I really appreciated the perspective and prayer it provides for the desert and fire experiences that many of us can personally relate to and deeply remember. The chorus especially pre-encourages me for whatever the next particularly hard time ahead is - I imagine the frustrating and discouraging moments and growing pains we will face after the adoption takes place. My mantra will be "I will rejoice, I will declare, God is my victory and He is here." Even more, I am challenged to train my children to claim this promise.

The Desert Song by Hillsong United

VERSE 1:
This is my prayer in the desert
When all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in my hunger and need
My God is the God who provides

VERSE 2:
This is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved
Of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flame

CHORUS:
I will bring praise
I will bring praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice
I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

VERSE 3:
This is my prayer in the battle
When triumph is still on its way
I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ
So firm on His promise I'll stand

BRIDGE:
All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

VERSE 4:
This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be emptied again
The seed I've received I will sow

The last verse about the harvest is my favorite. Its reminder is one that is less obvious; it reminds us that it is just not enough to sit back and say "Thank you, Lord!" for the good fortunes we receive. Although gratitude will always be in order, it's important to put feet to our gratitude. To be a channel for them to flow, rather than a dead-end; grateful, but still dead-ended. The challenge is to recognize that when things are great for us, or when we look over our lives and like the hand we have been dealt, or feel satisfied by what we have accomplished, that we need to keep that feeling in check and balance it with the responsibility to use what blessings we have to bless others. That the blessings we receive have not met their end in just our being blessed. "I know I'm filled to be emptied again. The seed I've received I will sow."

2 comments:

Emily said...

I looked that song up on Youtube. It really is encouraging..for anyone at anytime in their lives. I'm so glad you posted it up on your blog, I really needed to hear those lyrics.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

What a great song! I've never actually heard it so I'll have to look it up on youtube like Emily, but the lyrics are beautiful. Thanks for sharing! And like you, I enjoy the imagery of the last verse... the reality that "I'm filled to be emptied again" is powerful and so true!

Totally unrelated... but I love your new blog look and header! :)