Jan 22, 2009

WPTM #8: Let It Go

What Parenting Teaches Me #8: Let It Go

Noah loves to kick a ball around with me or just by himself in the living room. He loves to bat at a balloon just as much. And in all the rambunctious activity, he inevitably trips over his own feet, or steps on the ball, or leans too far back and hits the floor. You know what his reaction is almost always?

He giggles.
He laughs.
He jumps right back up to resume his play.
Doesn't even skip a beat.

And I thought about how when we, as adults, make a mistake and fall, when we trip up and blunder in any given situation, we tend to get angry, disappointed, insecure, frustrated, discouraged, etc. I know I do, depending on the situation and how many times I have met that blunder.

So I tell myself to learn from Noah's example. Let it go. Laugh. Keep it in context. Move on. Enjoy the moment and the opportunity to try again. Life is too good to dwell on a little set back or slip up. And this is even more true when you know the Lord. I just look at his joyous carefree little face and know that I can have that too. I have to not let age and experience cloud my joy. I may have to work harder to keep that childlike simplicity than Noah does, but I think it might be worth a try. Knowing the Lord affords me that peaceful, joyful existence. I don't wanna waste it.

5 comments:

Emily said...

well when we fall, it's hurts more than a little 2.5 foot person. :)
But I get what you're saying. haha. Good insight.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I can relate right now! Yes, Emily, falling at my age and height hurts quite a bit more! : )
Great analogy, Kimberly...a great and invaluable lesson for all of us to learn in life. Pas loves the quote about attitude...something about how when things happen, it's our attitude that matters...I'll have to look that one up and send it...it's a good one. (Actually, I need to find it and post it near my "convelescent corner").
Right now I'm trying very hard to hold onto my peace and joy, and asking God "what do have me to learn in this 'setback'?" God is always wanting us to learn, whether it's sick kids, things going wrong when hubby is out of town, or being laid up with a "broke" leg (they did actually find a crack)...God is there and waiting for us to realize His grace is sufficient...every, single, time.

Alison said...

Garet has helped me a lot in this area, but I do agree with Emily, the taller you are, the more it hurts :)!

Anonymous said...

Found my "Attitude" quote...not exactly your subject, but good nonetheless...started to email it to you, but figured others may enjoy it, although a little long.

"Attitude" by Chuck Swindoll
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude...I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our Attitudes."

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Never one to naturally choose optimism in the midst of mistakes, I find myself needing to be reminded of all you've shared even more so in this land where all I seem to do is make mistakes. Seriously, when I talk to people (in Czech) I KNOW I sound just like a 2-year-old... there are SO many grammar rules that I don't yet understand! Thanks for sharing this "parenting insight." :)