Jan 6, 2009

Baby Steps in Manners

Now that I sit here to type out this little sound byte from Noah tonight, I am starting to see a theme in my days lately... a poopy potty shot, Anna's worrisome constipation and it's recent, though disturbing, remedy, and now this. So sorry. Such is life with babies and boys when you are a stay-at-home mom.

So, lately I have been trying to teach Noah to say "Excuse me" whenever he passes gas, be it expelled from the northern or southern region of his little body. The way he follows that direction and articulates the "Excuse me" is downright precious although I still can't tell what letters would best represent how he mutters it. The point is, he has been making steady gains in the "Excuse me" department, whereas before he would just giggle (thereby causing me to giggle - thereby encouraging the behavior...thereby I am a bad mommy). We can't have that! And so we have "Excuse Me" training camp in progress these days. And Noah has been acing it!

So tonight Kimberly came over to visit for a bit and see Noah's Christmas goodies. While they played puzzles and towers, Noah (being every bit a boy) shamelessly passed the bad gas. No shock there. I say, "Noah, what do you say?" I fully expected him to recite our well-rehearsed "excuse me." No, no. The little stinker just grinned for our company and proudly said, "Poo Poo!"

Good grief. One step forward, two steps back.

9 comments:

Emily said...

haha! He's all boy, that's for sure. Brooklyn passed a long string of gas as she walked several steps...I couldn't believe such a terrible sound can come from my beautiful little girl...like Noah, she just looked at us, Lee and I look at each other and couldn't help but laugh, so there goes are cute little girl, laughing after her long drawn out wind passing. She DID say excuse me afterward when we asked her "what do you say when you toot toot?"

Heather said...

HA! Nathanael is into burping as loud as possible...and we are doing the excuse me thing too.

Memaw said...

Hannah, 7years old and in the big leagues now, thinks her gas is to be shared with all in our Girls in
Action. She breaks upthe class, and embarrasses big sister, Holly.
Thegirl has no shame! Noah was just being honest - it is what it is.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed so much catching up on your blogs (I thought things would slow down around here after Christmas...NOT). The kiddies are so cute and I love Anna's giggle...so sweet! I continue to enjoy your lists as well, especially the reflective, insightful ones. Loved the one about father and son and messes...it's called GRACE when God accepts us messes and all.
Can't wait to see you next week and meet Anna! And your first introduction to the cabin...an adventure for sure...the blog about that should be interesting, right Emily? : )

Emily said...

that's definately right! Kimberly mentioned later that we should have just all met at your house for the sake of less driving for all, but I really wanted her to experience the cabin :)

Anonymous said...

Emily's right...you need to experience the cabin...you'll never be the same! : ) Of course, now we call it the Lodge, and G'pa has all kinds of folklore he likes to tell concerning how it was built...yep, quite an experience. : )
For the sake of actually commenting appropriately on your blog, the big tooter in our house is Winnie...Bobby always says "yeah, she's a real lady!"

Kimberly said...

Mas, that kills me about your ladylike Winnie...so funny. Makes me giggle inside to remember the wind damage our rottweiler Jasmine could do without even batting an eye as she laid there. Seriously, Josh and I would have to clear the room, laughing all the way. I am laughing out loud right now as I type it. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, wind damage is a good name for it, and she's cleared lots of rooms as well...the only difference about Winnie is she'll look around at her rear, like "what was that?!" Very funny, indeed!

Unknown said...

LOL
Just wait until he starts pooping in the potty and compares his product to certain animals. Snakes are a favorite for obvious reasons. LOL. At least Jacob is saying excuse me, even if it's followed by a little giggle.