Mar 1, 2011

Baltimore Recap

Who:  
Best friends from high school - Heather, Laura, Jenn, and me

What:  
A Reunion after almost 5 years

 
When:  
Four days over this past weekend


Where:  
Baltimore, Maryland - Inner Harbor


Why:  
Just ask the fortune cookie!

Delicious places we ate:  
The Cheesecake Factory, Noodles and Company, PF Changs, and Hampton Inn and Suites for our free hot breakfasts. (I personally made a pointed effort to eat anything with peanuts or peanut butter since a certain little boy and his epipen were tucked away in TN - How does a Salted, Caramel, Reese's Peanut Butter Cheesecake sound?)


We all laughed at how little we really cared about seeing the sights.  Friday and all of Saturday, we wandered around and enjoyed the harbor's mood and scenery, though not nearly as much as we we enjoyed the fellowship of our 15+ year old friendships. 


Sunday, the girls headed home to their families and I stuck around for part 2 of the fun and friendly visiting.  Christy, a dear friend (and roommate twice over) from college came to town so I could hug her neck after a really rough year she has been through.  She astounded me with her strength, grace, and peace - Thank you, Lord for holding her together thus far and guarding her heart with your truth!


Christy, much more familiar with the area, helped me make better sense of the Inner Harbor's layout and offerings. Sadly, my sense of direction as to when and when NOT to cross the street could not be improved.


We grabbed some lunch from this place and camped out for over 3 hours talking and talking and talking.


We shopped many shops, strolled several piers, ate at PF Changs again, and watched the Oscar's til the very end.  Then we gabbed and gabbed and gabbed some more.


I officially love the mood of Baltimore's Inner Harbor and I have yet to do all the touristy things still....


Well, except for funny state crab pics...


And except for Little Italy.  Before we left town on Monday we ventured there to visit a pastry shop called Vaccaro's where a certain little famous dish - ahem, cannoli - is made.  First we ate a quick lunch whereby I enjoyed my first muffaletta - not bad at all.  


But the cannoli, oh, the cannoli - how have I never had this dish before?  How is it possible for a dessert to taste so fantastic?!  To say it was duh-licious would be a gross understatement.  Still, it was. Best sweet thing I have ever tasted.  I groaned and moaned at its goodness.  Then I decided it was probably time to reacquaint myself with my elliptical.


There was a lovely and light rain bidding us goodbye as we walked the downtown, back to the hotel (under my new and shimmery umbrella), and headed for the airport. 

My heart is full (my stomach, too, for that matter) and my spirit so lifted after this wonderful getaway, the free and leisurely time, and mostly and especially the friendships enjoyed in person again.  Love you, Jenn, Laura, Heather, and Christy!  Party in Nashville or Philly next time, perhaps?

6 comments:

Emily said...

yay!!! got ur oomph back now?! What a fun time with friends! I'm just still amazed you guys are still so in touch. 15 years...isn't that how you were when you met all them? wow!

There's something about "girl" time away. Our SS class gets the women out about every other month for different things, but it really does make you feel SO refreshed to have that face to face relationships with girls!

Looked like a fun trip!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

This post made me smile a lot. I love girl time. I love exploring new places. I love being near the water. I love good food. Looks like your weekend was filled with all of those fun things! So glad you were able to get away and enjoy a weekend with friends. :)

Heather said...

How in the world did we miss those amazing cannoli's?!? What a fun time we all had together! Just amazing at how we can catch back up in life after all these years. I have continued my FB purge you'll be glad to know and I am dying to see how your new book is turning out. I might even have to break down and read it myself. "Might" being the keyword. Thanks for flying out and spending the weekend with us. Next time, let's not wait 5 years!! :)

Laura Koslowsky said...

well said. I laughed out loud when you talked about crossing streets...such a city girl you are :) Gotta say I'm a little jealous about the cannoli too. Looking forward to next time already.

Kimberly said...

Heather and Laura - We so should have tried to get to Little Italy, it was soooso close to where we were. And we passed an indoor mall (The Gallery) every time we walked from the hotel to the harbor. And there were great little restaurants all up and down the next few piers that we didn't even explore at all. It was killing me what I saw how much more was just under our nose the whole time!

Yes - 5 years is far too long. So plan on me seeing you sooner next time for sure. :)

Kimberly said...

Heather - I have contemplated typing out entire passages because I knew you would be ingtrigued to hear them. That day after you left and I was snapping my fingers at how you would have loved the stuff I was reading. This books is so great and is opening my eyes to so many truths - though, yes, it is still a work of fiction. If you have the chance, I think it would be worth your time to read. I had to stop myself from crying twice on the just the plane ride home. It is THAT good.

Of course now that I have bragged all over it, you will probably end up being disappointed. ;)