May 4, 2010

The Poor Fish

Our four fish are poor things for several reasons:

1. They stress me out. Rather, getting them through the first nitrogen cycle is stressing me out. This new tank thing and all the water testing and maintaining is way more complicated than one would expect. And it's stressing me out. I am pretty sure the fish can sense my stress, and are in turn, stressed.

2. They don't hardly get to eat anything. You wouldn't believe how little you are supposed to feed those things!

3. Noah doesn't really care about them like we and he thought he would. But then again, can you blame the kid? There's only so much he can do with them before his attention has been diverted. And when I caught him today tormenting them with a game of TAG, well, the party was over. I shooed him away but I think the damage was done. They are scared out of their minds.

4. I think they are dying. They are darting all over the tank now and breathing very rapidly and I think that means their gills are burning. From the ammonia. Which is part of that new tank syndrome thing that I CANNOT GET UNDER CONTROL. And I could just sit down and cry for fear that they are suffering in there.

Now that I think about it, I think this post was more about how I am a poor baby when it comes to the poor fish.

Oh, the poor things. It's killing me.

6 comments:

Laura Koslowsky said...

This post just made me laugh. What are you going to do when the fish start having babies and eating them?! :) One thing at a time ;)

Kimberly said...

Ha, Laura! We bought all males for just that reason alone. And then, amazingly and disturbingly, we were told by the sales guy that the male platys can and most likely will change gender in the absence of any females.

WHAT?!!

Memaw said...

When I was a kid, I used to go down
to the creek and catch minnows for
pets. They died of course, so I would conduct funerals for them. I
actually got some real goldfish in
a small tank once but I fed them to
death. Not much luck with fish!

Kimberly said...

Ah, but you have a green thumb, Carol. I lack the skills for keeping those alive as well!

Unknown said...

Fish! LOL Remember the fish I had in college? The one that you were sure was going to die in his green water. I think he was named "pimp daddy" or something like that, right? Is this where all this anxiety is coming from? ;-)

Jacob's first two died within the first 2 weeks so we moved on to guppies and they are doing great. They are much cleaner too so we don't have to change the tank but every few months....LOVE that!

Kimberly said...

Oh my gosh - maybe it is - some deep latent fear of a fish's death. It's all your fault, then, and I should relax!

Hilarious. No, I don't remember the fish, but Pimp Daddy DOES sound familiar to me. Now, Fiona. I remember Fiona. Remember the fleas?

I like the guppies I see in the store - their tails are so beautiful and the move around so much! We actually went back planning to get guppies for his second round of fish. That's when the worker said our tank was too new to be getting ANY new fish at all. Party Pooper! But since it was the boy's birthday day and all, we went ahead and just got one more fish...the black molly .... because they are bigger than a guppy and the guppies need to be in bigger groups. But advice duly noted - go with the guppies if these bad boys don't survive.