Nov 16, 2009

Recipe: Chicken Pie

Nothing flashy about this recipe. Just something really hearty and really good. Comfort food if there ever was one. I got this recipe from a friend (remember Annie Clausen, Heather?) from college right after I got married. It only took me 7 years to get around to trying it. Kids will do that to you - turns out you gotta keep 'em fed. ;)

Chicken Pie (A Southern Tradition)

6 T butter, 6 T flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper
1 3/4 c. chicken broth, 2/3 c. milk
2 c. boiled chicken, cut-up
2 9" pastry pie crusts

Melt butter, add flour and seasonings. Let bubble.
Add liquids and cook until thick. Add chicken.
Fill one pie crust with filling.
Cut the other pie crust to make 1/2" strips and place across pie.
Bake at 425 for 25 minutes.

Oh my goodness - Yum!

7 comments:

Heather said...

I do remember her! Do you still hear from her or just back when you were first married. Recipe sounds delicious. I have one very similar except you add frozen mixed veggies, cr of chicken soup, cr of mushroom soup and you have Chicken Pot Pie. Super yummy too!

Kimberly said...

No, Annie and I never kept up after much after that. I do wonder where she's at though!

Remember, I did your Chicken Pot Pie recipe at the start of my cooking adventures a few months ago. Luh-ved it! I even asked Josh if he thought I could put the Veg-All in this pie recipe...

Emily said...

yes you can, and then you would have all your food groups in one. I'll have to try that one too...sounds good!

Laura Koslowsky said...

Making this for dinner tonight. Thanks for the fun recipes. I am going to also try making a traditional Korean dish called Bee Bim Bop soon. I'll have to post that on our blog after I give it a try. Bee Bim Bop is basically a egg and veggie stir fry, served over rice.

Kimberly said...

Hey Laura! Bee Bim Bop sounds like a Disney song. :) Crossing my fingers that you liked the Chicken Pie, too.

A friend from Alabama had her baby yesterday and she named him Samuel. Obviously, that made me think of y'all. :)

Laura Koslowsky said...

Loved it! I was thinking about adding mixed veggies to it as well while I made it, but I don't think there would have been enough gravy for that. We enjoyed the mixed veggies on the side and I think my kids were more willing to eat it that way too. Thanks again for the recipe. I will definitely make it again. I'm going to try the sweet-n-sour meatballs too :)

Kimberly said...

Ahhh, you're right. Thanks for the heads up about the veg-all in this one.