Nov 24, 2009

The Call to a Holy Life

I just finished a book that I could not put down - An Unlit Path. Took me less than 2 days. Riveted I was. And discouraged and encouraged and over again. It is one family's account of their experiences with foster and adoptive care.

The book closes with a poem by Mother Theresa that I just happened to read for the first time the other day in a gift shop and then suddenly again in the book today.

The Call to a Holy Life

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Bradley said...

What an amazing quote! I'm so glad you shared. Many of the thoughts were applicable and it's a great reminder. As for the book you read... I'm intrigued so I ordered it from Amazon (used of course) and it should be waiting for me in FL when we arrive. :)

Kimberly said...

Stinker! You should have just let me send you my copy! Free!