Nov 19, 2009

Quote: Ruthless Trust

Ruthless Trust is the name of the book I have been trying to finish for awhile now. After about three months, I am still only four chapters in. It just doesn't keep me coming back for more. So today I cut my losses and quit the book - which is a real throwback to my teaching days. One of the first skills I remember teaching my third graders in Reader's Workshop was knowing when to abandon a book. It's a very empowering practice for us reader-types and us finish-what-you-start types.

However, all is not lost on my fruitless attempts to get through the book. I had already noted and saved the following line:

"To be grateful for an unanswered prayer, to give thanks in a state of interior desolation, to trust in the love of God in the face of marvels, cruel circumstances, obscenities, and commonplaces of life is to whisper a doxology in darkness."

Amen to the message of this quote and amen to the beautiful phrase at the end ... "to whisper a doxology in darkness."

2 comments:

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Okay... we've been without internet for a while now so I'm WAY behind on responding to this, but I loved this quote. It is beautiful and an encouragement to me. I'm so glad you shared it! Thanks!

Kimberly said...

Elizabeth: I read another quote the other day that made me think of you after reading one of your recent posts...

"Give yourself fully to God. He will use you to accomplish great things on the condition that you believe much more in His love than in your own weakness."

-Mother Theresa