May 4, 2015

The Love Affair Begins

Anna's sibling gift on Noah's birthday was a brand new chapter book that I thought she would be able to dive in to with little trouble.  Since she (and I) really enjoy Fancy Nancy books, I picked out a Nancy Clancy read.  And for more surprise, I slipped in some tickets to a Fancy Nancy musical coming up this month at the Nashville Children's Theater.  Can't wait!  

Anna was a little down in the mouth upon unwrapping {just} a book, but like I knew would happen, she really got into it and was caught reading it all by herself twice that first day and twice again the next day.


It's a really neat milestone because it's her first-ever real chapter book!  Not one of those level 1-4 reader types.


Every so often she asks for help.  "Hey Mommy, what does P-R-E-C-I-O-U-S spell? Ohhhh..."


Takes me back to my elementary years when my love affair with books first began.  Though she has definitely shown me up in that she is reading chapter books much sooner - as a kindergartener! I don't think it hit for me til 3rd or 4th grade.  Smart cookie!!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Way to go Anna!!!!! Brooklyn is my book worm, but she too, didn't start till 1 or 2nd grade!!! Smart girl!

Amy Faye Brown said...

Oh, my! Exciting times!
Rebeka was reading Junie B. Jones in Kindergarten. By herself, before Christmas break. Some of my Kinder babies are hitting the chapter books too as well as taking their own AR tests (without the voice recording on and without my help). Plus some of them are reading to other students and then helping them take an AR test by reading it to them.

I love this time of year when you really see them blooming!

Kimberly said...

Oh yes, AR! Her school stopped using it this year in favor of something else online called MyON I think? So Josh created her an AR account through his school and it is HIGHLY motivating for her. She is almost to 20 points ... :}

Goodness gracious, Amy! You have a class FULL of smart cookies!

Emily said...

MyON huh? I will have to look in to that and see if we could do that when we hS