May 24, 2015

Anna Makes a Memory

This character

 

got the bright idea to make ear plugs for herself out of silly putty at Noah's game last night.  Though I was sitting right beside her the whole game, I didn't realize what had happened until it was too late.  I have no idea how long they were in her head before I spotted her messing with her ears as we were trying to leave.  

Me:  What are you doing?
Anna:  Trying to pull out my earplugs.
Me:  What? Where did you get earplugs?!  ... Oh my gosh, you used silly putty?!  You shoved it all the way in there?!?! Anna, what have done?!  Oh no. Oh my gosh.  Anna, what were you thinking?!  Oh my gosh!  No, stop touching it!

And etc., etc. etc in that general direction.  At that point, it was also entangled in her hair all over and I went into full-on panic mode.  People were starting to stare and, thinking I was just upset about gum in her hair, tried to calm me by telling me that peanut butter would get it out.  If only!  It was all I could do to alert Josh in the dug out and just drive home with her, I was so mad at her foolishness and so scared of any damage that might be done.  Josh thought maybe he could get it out with some dental tools he has, but quickly realized that wasn't gonna fly once he got a close up look at it.  You can see {some} of it visible there in her ear before Josh and Carol headed off to the ER with her for a good three hours together. 


This ear is the ear that it was worse in.


After some digging, some failed irrigating, and some alcohol swap attempts at dissolving the putty, the ER doctor did what he could but just could not quite get it all out, so we are to get her to an ENT as soon as the holiday weekend finishes up and not get any water in there between now and then.  Anna assures me she has learned her lesson, so I will ease up on her now.  She sure did get an earful of my shock and frustration that night though ... on top of the blue, gooey earfuls she administered herself. : /

File this one under "One day you will laugh about this."  :}  For now, we are all just relieved it really will likely be ok.  Phew!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Anna gave us another opportunity to remind the kids how terrible it would be if they put anything in their ears or nose...The girls felt so sorry for anna, but Natalie said, "I bet she learned her lesson now...she sure won't do that again I bet!" I bet so too...hehe. It will be in the past before you know it.

Kimberly said...

Glad we could assist! Ha!