Nov 19, 2010

Amens: Minor Prophets

Notable for Kimmie from the minor prophet books taken from The Message translation.
  • Hosea 6:6 - I'm after love that lasts, not more religion.  I want you to know God, not go to more prayer meetings.  (I'll always heart this NKJV also - For I desire mercy and not sacrifice, And the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.)
  • Amos 4:13 - Look who's here: Mountain-Shaper! Wind-Maker!  He laid out the whole plot before Adam. He brings everything out of nothing, like dawn out of darkness.  He strides across the alpine ridges.  His is GOD, God-of-the-Angel-Armies.  (I still love this in NKJV, too - For behold, He who forms mountains, And created the wind, Who declares to man what his thought is, And makes the morning darkness, Who treads the high places of the earth - The Lord God of hosts is His name.)
  • Amos 5:21-24 - I can't stand your religious meetings. I'm fed up with your conferences and conventions.  I want nothing to do with your religious projects, your pretentious slogans and goals.  I'm sick of your fund-raising schemes, your public relations and image making.  I've had all I can take of your noisy ego-music.  When was the last time you sang to me?  Do you know what I want?  I want justice - oceans of it.  I want fairness - rivers of it.  That's what I want.  That's all I want.
  • Micah 6:8 - But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what GOD is looking for in men and women.  It's quite simple:  Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don't take yourself too seriously - take God seriously.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Bradley said...

It's been so, so fun to journey with you through the Message in this way!

The Amos 5 passage reminds me of conversations that have been taking place between our team and a Czech friend who's standing up to injustice in her work place. It's been interesting to see how God's desire for fairness and justice is being used in Katka's life to open her eyes to who God is. And yes, this is the same Katka I emailed you about. :)

Micah 6:8 is beautiful... in any translation.