Jan 31, 2010

Recipe: Tater Tot Casserole

I tried this recipe today. I have had it for years and just never got around to trying it, and this turns out to be my loss because it was really good. And for another snow day like what we have today (even church was cancelled), it was a perfectly warm and hearty meal to break up all the snowman making and snowball tasting that was going on outside. A real meat-and-potatoes dish.

Tater Tot Casserole

1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck
1 medium onion
1 can cream of celery soup
Tater Tots
1 can cream of mushroom soup, diluted with 1/2 can water

Crumble meat over bottom of large flat casserole pan. Slice onions on top of meat. Add the celery soup and spread over onions. Put on a layer of tater tots. Mix the mushroom soup with 1/2 can of water and put on top of tater tots. Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Notes:
If you don't have onion, you can use onion flavored tater tots.
I used lean ground beef instead.
I used minced onions instead.
I used the bottom of a broiler pan. Cookie sheet would work also.
I wasn't sure so I browned the meat first. But after looking at similar recipes online, I think I wasn't supposed to. Now I know.

3 comments:

Emily said...

oooo, I thought you browned the meat first...I always have...hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Like you, I've got those kinds of recipes that I've never tried...this sounds like a good one for brunches...maybe substitute ground beef with sausage...add a little cheese maybe? And I would have thought you'd brown the meat first too. Thanks for sharing! : )

Kimberly said...

I thought about that brunch idea, too. :)