Jan 21, 2010

Psalm 19

I grew up (literally and spiritually) reading the NIV Bible. For the last 5 or so years, I have kept in the New Living Translation. Two years ago I worked my way in a year through a One-Year Bible, also NLT. For the last few bible studies I've been a part of I liked Beth Moore's preference of the Holman Christian Standard version as well. This year, I'm starting reading a new translation (two actually) of the Bible - a NKJV/The Message Parallel Bible and I am really digging it.

Most recently, Psalm 19 from the Message jumped out at me and I can't help but share the translation. (verses 7-9, 11-14)

The revelation of God is whole
and pulls our lives together.
The signposts of God are clear
and point out the right road.
The life-maps of God are right,
showing the way to joy.
The directions of God are plain
and easy on the eyes.
God's reputation is twenty-four-carat gold,
with a lifetime guarantee.
The decisions of God are accurate
down to the nth degree.

There's more: God's word warns us of danger
and directs us to hidden treasure.
Otherwise how will we find our way?
Or know when we play the fool?
Clean the slate, God, so we can start the day fresh!
Keep me from stupid sins,
from thinking I can take over your work;
Then I can start this day sun-washed,
scrubbed clean of the grime of sin.
These are the words in my mouth;
these are what I chew on and pray.
Accept them when I place them
on the morning altar,
O God, my Altar-Rock,
God, Priest-of-my-Altar.

Josh and I have somewhat set a goal this year to start teaching Noah exact Scripture for the purpose of memorization. We are still working out how this will look in our family, but I think these verses would be an excellent place to start with him. Maybe check out the wording in some kid-friendly translations...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teaching Noah to memorize scripture at this age is an excellent idea. Our Bible study starts teaching them early on, with verses and very simple songs to go with them (in already familiar tunes). They use the NIV translation which is plenty easy enough. I can send you some examples when I get a chance. Community Bible Study has an EXCELLENT children's program...we now have young women in our group that grew up in our children's program and are now bringing their own children. Can't say enough about how it helped mold their spiritual lives. All that to say...teach the boy; it will stick with him for life!

Kimberly said...

Do send those examples when you come across them or have the time!

Anonymous said...

Will do! I'll probably send some to Emily as well...then when the cousins are together, they can practice their verses and songs together! : )

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Hi Kim! Once again this was one of those posts that I "marked" in my inbox to come back to later to read and respond. When you wrote it we had only been back in Prague for a week and I was still digging out from under emails.

Psalm 19 is one of my all-time favorite psalms. Not sure when it became a favorite but it has been for years. I've learned most of it as a song (well as 2 songs) but have wanted to memorize it all for a while now. Like you, I grew up with the NIV but my "best friend" of the past nearly 10 years has been my KJV. I realize it's not everyone's favorite, but it's mine... the rhythm of the words has become so familiar to me. However, this Message rendition of Psalm 19 is great! I've been reading through the New Testament using the Message and have really enjoyed the "story" feel to it.

As for memorizing scripture as a child... I'm definitely for it! Verses like Psalm 56:3 that were engraved on my head and heart as a little girl still come to mind when I need them! And memorizing through song is one of the easiest - and long lasting! - ways to memorize in my opinion.

I think it's great that you're working to teach Noah to memorize scripture!