Jan 17, 2010

Circle of Life

Oh man. I said it today. As Noah pestered me with yet another "Why?", I simply closed the matter flatly with that hallowed parent's trump card of a phrase that always annoyed the fire out of me as a child. And with it my life came full circle.

"Because I said so."

I caught myself just as the words came out and at the same moment I wanted to suck them back in. But since you can't unsay what you've said, I was left with no other choice but to just laugh at myself. Noah was confused about the laughing so he of course just asked me "Why your waffing, Mommy?" to which I just sputtered through my chuckling, "Because, baby. Just ... because." It's a vicious cycle really.

He'll understand "why" one day ... when his life comes full circle, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soon he'll start answering your questions with "just because, Mommy, just because." : )

Kimberly said...

Oh you are so right. Memo to me...start planning how to respond to that one NOW. ;)

Anonymous said...

: )

Unknown said...

So funny. So true! I've gotten the dreaded "I don't love you" phrase last week for the first time. WOW!