Sep 5, 2009

Recipe: Chicken Poppyseed

This is not a new recipe to me; I have had it for years. Grew up eating it, in fact. But it is much too yummy not to share from my slowly expanding cooking repertoire. Plus, I have given it out a ton of times by request, so I know it's worth sharing. :) And it is so easy to make. Even better, it can be made and frozen (before baking) ahead of time. I always make it when I have free time in the day and refrigerate it until I am ready to heat it for dinner.

Chicken Poppy Seed Casserole

4 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
2 T poppy seed
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
8 oz. sour cream
2 stacks of Ritz crackers, crumbled (I use 3)
1 1/2 sticks margarine, melted

Pour melted margarine over the crumbled crackers, mix well.
Add poppy seeds to mixture.
Put 1/2 of the mixture in bottom of 9x13 baking dish.
Pour cubed chicken over mixture.
Combine soups and sour cream, mix well. Pour over chicken.
Pour remaining cracker crumbs on top.
Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes.
Serve over rice.

Duh-licious!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Sounds so yummy! If only we could get "cream" soups here... hmm... I wonder if I could use powdered soup and "tweak" it a bit? On the other hand, poppy seeds are SO plentiful and SO cheap in the CR!!! It's crazy how cheap they are... and they're sold in quantities triple what you can buy them in the States. :)

Ellen said...

Yum! Yum! We loved this when you brought it to us. Thanks for reminding me about it!! I am going to make it soon. :)