Jul 23, 2009

MORE Stuff I Love

Shamwow - It really works. We use it in the kitchen for stuff we handwash and want to get out of the way instead of letting them take up counter space to air dry.

Pot Rack - It has worked wonders for storage in our little kitchen and it is in our laundry closet (which, yes, is in our kitchen too), so it stays out of sight.

Noah's Nightlight Timer - To keep Noah from getting out of bed so early, we set this bad boy up and told him not to get up until that light comes on. It worked immediately and I swear by its success.

Blackout Curtains - Anna has been getting up at 5:30 every morning and it is killing us, so we put up blackout curtains in her room yesterday. This morning she slept until 6:15!!

Pay-as-you-go Phone
- Has saved us so much money on my cell phone. I never used my other cell phone enough to even make it worth my cheap $30 a month plan. This gets me even cheaper phone service.

Glass Cookware with Lids - We got new Purex dishes awhile back that came with their own rubber/plastic lids. I love having those lids. I can't even remember the last time I needed foil or cling wrap to cover things in the fridge. So convenient.

TP Holder - Laugh if you will, but this new toilet paper holder we have is so, so convenient for changing the roll. No spring in the rod stuff or finagling it back into the holder, just lift one end, and on it goes. So quick.



Tomato Plants - I have loved having a built-in supply of tomatoes every day. I told Josh the other day I think I will always want to grow them from now on.

Maid Service - We scaled back on cleaning services awhile back, but what we did keep was having them come once a month to clean the bathrooms and the kitchen. Love it.

Childcare at the gym - This feature has single-handedly made it possible (and desirable) for me to keep up going to the gym. But even better, it is such a clean, fun, friendly facility and Noah and Anna love Mrs. Diane who is there every day. I never worry or cringe at leaving them there while I work out. And I just really appreciate that because I know that is not the case at all gyms.

Select-a-size paper towels - With the fanatic wiper that I am, this type of paper towel is a real must for us. Keeps me from yanking a giant wipe for little stuff, thereby saving money...and paper towels. :)

6 comments:

Emily said...

Ok seriously. I think your calling was not teaching...but rather advertising/marketing. You've got skills. I even want to get a night light timer now too, since Brooklyn wakes up at stinking 5 also. Ugh. and tomato plants too. It'd be nice to be like, hm. I want a tomato in my salad. I'll just go right outside and pick one. Yum! Maid service would be nice. How much is it for one time a month?

Kimberly said...

Just know that the timer is not specific to night lights. It's like that kind you use to make lamps come on while you are out of town or something. Real simple, real cheap, real effective!

We pay our cleaner $55 for any 4 rooms in the house...which like I said, I always assign as the 3 bathrooms and the kitchen (including the eat-in area). Sometimes I have her skip parts of the kitchen or skip a bath that hasn't been used much and she only has me pay $45. But check around...different people charge different prices.

Amy Faye Brown said...

I'm with you on the pay as you go phone. Between mine and Rebeka's phones we spend around $20 -$30 TOTAL every 2 months or so. Next month Johmark's contract is up and he's going to prepaid too! Good-bye to the $70 a month phone bill for a phone that doesn't work in our woods!

Emily said...

OK, maybe we'll have to have a talk about this prepaid phone you speak of. Amy spends what I spend on cell phone bills Terrible...but I do use mine a lot. What's the cost for the pay as you go???? Is it by minutes?

Alison said...

I bet you save $500/month by switching to select-a-size paper towels :) Ha ha! If only they had select-a-size wipes, you would be rich!

That's all we use as well.

Kimberly said...

Alison: You know it!

Emily: Yeah, pay as you go is by minutes - at least it is with the one I use - Trac Phone. And I get the minutes a wee bit cheaper by getting them from Sam's. I would guess though, that if you use your cell a lot, pay as you go would not benefit you as much...just depends. Since I hardly ever use my cell, those minutes can last me a looooooong time, so I don't keep paying monthly bills all the while for nothing.