May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Irony

I realize the irony of my spending Mother's Day away from the very people that make me a mother. But in truth, I was home by lunchtime today to love on my bambinos and by dinner I had swept the kitchen, vacuumed the downstairs, loaded the dishwasher, cooked dinner, dusted, and made my to-do list for tomorrow. That pretty much describes a real mother's day anyway. And I UH-dored my weekend getaway. There is nothing real glamorous to detail about the events of the trip - we gabbed, we ate, we shopped, we slept. In fact, there is actually more to say about what I did NOT do:

I did not load kids into car seats when I went places.
I did not wipe down a high chair at any restaurants.
I did not have to quiet or hold anyone while I ate.
I did not cut up food or wipe anyone's mouth but my own.
I did not leave restaurants in a hurry.
I did not pass up seeing a movie (but I might as well have because Ghosts of Girlfriends Past was dismally and disgustingly disappointing!)
I did not get anyone ready for bed but myself.
I did not get up and feed anyone in the middle of the night.
I did not wake up until 9:30 in the morning.
I did not push strollers or buggies during any of the shopping.
I did not put anyone in time-out or endure any crying fits.
I did not change any diapers.
I did not fill any bottles or sippy cups.
I did not keep track of hours/minutes until my next break.

I did not think 2 days was enough of a break.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it! Glad you both had fun. I'm so jealous. I have a girls night out on Sat. and I'm soooo excited. It's only for the evenign but I'm going to get home late enough to miss the bed time routine...haha.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Such a fun list! It's amazing to read all the "little things" that make a BIG difference when you don't have to do them! So glad you enjoyed your "weekend away". :)