May 26, 2009

Lately

Oh, the joys of homeownership! Our AC broke over the weekend, so we paid to have someone come out and fix it. But then it was broken again last night so we paid to have it fixed again...at least enough to get us through the night. So today we are forking some MORE money out of savings to just buy a brand new HVAC system altogether. Cringe and groan. Ah well, I'd rather pay the money than melt in my own home. And that's what a savings account is for. At least that is what Josh keeps telling me. Pardon my tears - I am in a little bit of mourning watching the account balance go down.

Other than that latest sweaty upset, we have been amusing ourselves in a variety of ways. We headed to AL over the holiday weekend to see Mimmie and Papa and revisit with some friends over some good mexican food. Here Noah is hearing Papa blow on his conch shell and then giving it a go himself.



We are trying to kill some moles in our backyard, so Josh was putting out poison. Noah followed closely behind with his little wheelbarrow.


What fun! Noah got to pick out a new bed last Friday...a step up in the big boy bed department from his toddler bed. We especially like the trundle underneath, although, until we need the extra bed we will just use it for storage.


We pulled out the pool the other day so the kids could cool off. And seeing the $10 pricetag on the box allowed me to enjoy again the steal of a deal I got it for on an end-of-season clearance last year. It has a little fountain on the turtle's head that spills into the pool, which is cool and all, but therein lies the problem. That water coming through the fountain is too cool, so we turned that bad boy off.


Noah is really into playing his games lately. Memory and Chutes and Ladders have been keeping us in business so far.


We sold Anna's Exersaucer and replaced it with this play wall. She loves it. I can't believe little bit is 8 months old already!


In other news, I just restocked my book stash, so I'm pumped to be back in business with reading material to last a little while. I am also back in consignment mode and gearing up to sell a ton of clothes and toys in a month or so. I am committed to having less stuff around and orienting Noah and Anna towards the "less is more" philosophy of toys. And I am seriously going to tackle my closet full of clothes that I have not worn in years. Goodwill, here we come again with clothes and books and electronic equipment I am sick of having around!

8 comments:

Emily said...

Wow! that was a lot of update...why didn't I hear much of all that when I called you...don't you be keeping mum on me just so you can post about stuff later for me to read! And I love love love Noah's big boy haircut! Definately like that style on boys! And I am jealous of your steal on that pool, I bought one this year for 30 dollars...ugh...and it's not even big...but that's what we could afford since I hadn't started working yet when i bought it. Oh well. I bought Brooklyn a memory game...a disney mickey mouse one...I think we're going to do a Disney characters theme for her B-day this year so we can get pumped for our Disney trip only 2 months after her B-day! Anyway...Good post...lots going on!

Anonymous said...

Loved catching up on all the family news and pictures...wow, Miss Anna is really growing up!(I think I say that everytime!) I also love Noah's new haircut...very cute.
You have my sympathy on having to buy the new HVAC system, and watching the savings acct go south...but I agree, better to sweat spending the money than sweating in the heat. : )

Kimberly said...

Oh yay - so glad y'all like the cut - I love Noah's new summer cut, too, although Josh is not so big on it. I actually wanted it to be shorter across the top too, but I wasn't there to point that out as they cut. Next time.

Emily, so funny. No I wasn't holding out on you...I was just preoccupied when you called because we had the workmen in the house and Anna had finally gone down for a nap. :)

I know you do probably sympathize with buying an HVAC, Mas, what with all your finishing off the upstairs. We did that same thing last year too, so I was familiar with how expensive those things are -Ouch! Sadly, our other one will need to be replaced in the coming years, too. I am hoping it won't happen right away, but planning to replace it on our timing and terms and not when it can catch us off guard and make us melt while we wait for service. No fun at all.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

That was a serious update... but so fun to read of all that's been going on. We're "adjusting" to life in the land of no air conditioners. The other day it was 82 which totally caught us off guard. Of course the next day it was 62 and raining. :) I can SO identify with the mourning over watching the savings account drop when you have to make big purchases... once you start to see the account grow it's hard to watch it shrink! Your pool is adorable - and $10 makes it even MORE adorable. Bargains always make me smile!

Unknown said...

You all have been busy. Bummer on the HVAC. But praise the Lord you had the cash in savings. That's what it's for. The kiddos are just too cute. I love the new bed! I think we're going to pull out the pool this weekend. Oh one thing that Robbie figured out last year because the water was alway so cold. He would hook the hose to the hot water heater and use that water in the pool. It was sooo clever and not so cold if we forgot to fill it in the sun earlier.

Kimberly said...

Shannon - Great idea on the water! I will have to tell Josh about that one!

Alison said...

So good to see you last weekend!

Speaking of books...did you ever finish the Twilight series? :)

Kimberly said...

Alison: Actually, I am devouring Breaking Dawn right now. The further I go in the serious, the more and more I can't them down!