May 22, 2009

I Chee Man

We have been spending a lot of time outside since the weather has been so nice. So it was inevitable that Noah would meet with his first I chee man (ice cream man) this week. Noah was a bit scared at first and didn't know what to make of the loud music coming down the street, but he eased up when they got closer and he saw the pictures of all the sweet treasures on the side of the van. Or maybe he relaxed when he saw me and Josh jumping around like a couple of kids ourselves. Hard to say. :)


We were pretty excited to watch Noah learn the ropes of this childhood staple ... to watch him get another big boy experience under his belt. So excited, in fact, that Josh made the mistake of telling the ice cream man that they would use up all our quarters this summer. Not surprisingly, the ice cream man has come back several times already and I am sure he will continue to do so. Not wanting to overindulge Noah with ice cream everyday, we have decided to hold back and tell him "Not today" or "We are out of money". And Noah has willingly agreed to practice the same restraint. He doesn't whine or fuss. He just keeps reminding us every so often that we are "ow money", sometimes asking the same thing - "ow money?" It is pretty cute to see his understanding and acceptance of the concept.

3 comments:

Emily said...

oh that acceptance will sooooo pass very soon when he really starts to get that he won't be eating any ice cream when the ice cream man came!

Kimberly said...

Oh don't get me wrong...Noah will still get to partake of many ice cream treats from the ice cream man this summer. Just not every single time the man ventures down our street is all.

I am optimistic. I think Noah will stay pretty mellow about yes's and no's.

Unknown said...

How cute! We have the beloved ice cream truck from time to time and I do see a sparkle in Jacob's eyes when he hears the bell. I must admit that I've even heard it before he has and I start singing loudly and make too much noise for him to hear it.:-) Is that mean?

Jacob is 4 and he doesn't put up a fuss when we say "no" about it. You're teaching him great lessons about not giving in to over indulgence.