May 1, 2009

As He Sleeps

Noah is asleep in his bed right now. And tonight especially I am not taking that for granted.

As I went in to check on Anna (and can you believe I can do that now and she doesn't wake up?!) I could hear the cd still playing in Noah's room that has played over him almost every night of his little life. And I thought - I really don't take that for granted - that that little boy is tucked in his little bed, in his room, in our house, in our lives, and ohhhh, so much in our hearts.

How lucky are we?

Because this night 3 years ago, as his birthmother checked into the hospital, I think of how easily all of this could possibly not have been. How close we thought we came to losing him a month or so before he was born and even again the very day he was born - his extended birthfamily begged and pleaded and raged at Tania so. They wrestled with a desperate heartbreak that I do not take for granted either. Heaven only knows how she maintained her resolve to place Noah with us. Heaven only knows. And I thank Heaven, I thank you God, for that sweet baby boy. On the eve of his birthday, Father, I am overwhelmed with the joy and love I feel over him, with the thankfulness I feel for your giving him to us. What a gift. Thank you, Lord.

It was a special day for Josh and me 3 years ago. I can't help but reminisce about it tonight. And I just wanted to gush over our little birthday boy one more time ... as he sleeps ... safe and sound, upstairs, in his bed, in his room, in our home, in our lives, and always in our hearts.

(BTW - It is supposed to be totally wet and rainy tomorrow, but we are hitting the zoo anyway. My baby is turning 3! Bring on the ponchos, raincoats, and umbrellas - not even the rain itself is gonna rain on our parade. :)

3 comments:

The White Family said...

Happy Happy Birthday Noah! I hope he is having a great day and that you are having a great day with him! I can still remember you telling us at dinner one night that you were going to get to adopt Noah and I remember sitting at work DYING to get a call or email from you that Noah was born! I can't believe it has been 3 years!

Heather said...

What a precious gift he is to your family! Thank you, Lord!

Emily said...

Seriously...are you trying to make people cry?! You are so sentimental! And he really is a special and sweet boy! AND he's my nephew!!!