May 7, 2009

Soapboxes and Such

I have a few new favorite treats: Diet Pepsi Vanilla, Hershey's Kisses Meltaways, Mini Babybel Cheese (what was that I said about not losing any weight, yet? Sigh.)

There are so many good movies out! How will Emily and I ever decide which ones to see this weekend? One thing is for sure; Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, here we come! There is also Star Trek, The Soloist, X-Men, and State of Play. Decisions, decisions.

Anna barely napped at all yesterday. It was a LONG day, needless to say. But turnabout is fair play apparently, because she slept 11 hours last night. STRAIGHT! Sadly, I could not enjoy the full night's sleep because I was wondering why she hadn't gotten up yet, wondering if I should check on her, but really knowing she would wake up any minute. This train of thought started around 3:30 in the morning of course (and Sleeping Beauty did not wakeup until 6:00). My body naturally wakes up at that time because hers usually does. She usually eats then and goes back to sleep. My plague in life is that I am not so easily put back to sleep, so like I said, I basically stayed up...laying in bed trying to sleep of course, but still, up.

I am so frustrated about the Jon and Kate plus 8 drama in the news. So frustrated I don't even know where to begin. I have contemplated posting about it several times, but I just don't think I have the energy to rant like I want to. But let me just say this. You know what upsets me more than the fact that Jon is hanging out with younger women at bars late at night? More than the fact that odds are he really did cheat on her even though he denies it unflinchingly? What upsets me the most are the ugly things I heard being said about Kate today on the radio after they quoted her from an interview she did this morning on The Today Show (which I happened to see while I was breaking a serious sweat at the gym). Just mean, ugly, vicious things. They actually used the word "evil" to describe her and they meant it. My jaw literally dropped as I drove Noah to school at how these ugly radio people basically crucified her with words - when for crying out loud, she is the victim in this situation. And they laughed at how she deserved this happening to her. Oh, so upsetting. I just felt so bad for Kate, for the whole embarrassment that has come because of all this. It's just too bad.

And c'mon, American Idol last night? Not the results part, but the Paula part. Forgive me, but that woman is rounding 50 almost. It looks a bit odd for her to dress, dance, and perform like she is 17. It just didn't work for me. Everyone raves about an older woman looking so young and cool and such, I guess. But to me it is just silly. I am not saying she should sit in a rocker and knit. No way, 50 is not old by a long shot. But it is too old to compete with the current rat race of Hollywood teeny boppers and pop stars. Please stop it, Paula (and every other famous female who tries to pull off an image 3 decades younger than you are). Your days of teeny tiny clothes and provocative dance routines have come and gone. A LONG time ago, at that. So Let. It. Go. I'm just sayin', is all!

I sound grumpy, don't I? I'm not, really. Just feeling a little opinionated and Anna can't keep up with the conversation. And besides, she's napping. :)

6 comments:

Laura Koslowsky said...

I love Jon & Kate too. It is so hard to watch Kate being hurt that way with everyone watching. I am interested to see how they handle this in the next season on the show. As Christian's they have such an opportunity to show God's grace to the world as he gives them the grace they need to work through this and build a stronger marriage as a result.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed your soapbox post. I totally agree with you on everything. The Jon and Kate thing infuriates me. I so wish it weren't true that he did anything remotely unfaithful and in no way did she deserve any of this. I also agree with you on the Paula thing. Seriously...she needs to just hang it up. Nuff said.

I'm having a girls night out in a few weeks and we're going to see the ghosts of girlfriends past or something like that so you'll have to let me know how you like it if you all go to that.

Have fun!

Kimberly said...

I love the birthday picture - looks very "in the moment" and shows off everyone's personality. Glad to see ya'll had so much fun for his birthday!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

"Anna can't keep up with the conversation" just makes me smile. Being reminded that I haven't seen a magazine at the check-out counter in English or heard "drama" on the radio or news in nearly since months is so nice. I don't miss the drama. Hope you have a fun weekend away!

Emily said...

LOVE the new header picture! LOVE it!

Alison said...

I'm so out of the loop - I didn't even realize something was going on with Jon & kate.