May 1, 2013

Taa Daa: LEGO Head Cake!!

This dumb cake had a history before it was even born!  I hired a new cake-maker who offered her services at a deep discount in order that she could gain experience.  It wasn't until the last minute (last week) that she doubled her quoted price for her work. I dropped her like a hot potato at that point and asked a couple friends who have cake talent galore if they were available to bail me out.  They were more affordable, yes, but at such late notice were unavailable.  Fair enough.  I got in touch with the woman who made Noah's cake last year and while she was happy to make his cake (which is funny because her name, literally, is Happy), she also quoted a price tag of $75 to make it.  Say what??  Not this month, lady.  Guess I will just have to try my hand at this fondant scene myself.  I had a tutorial for it online, for crying out loud; how bad could it be?!

Truth?  It wasn't that bad, but I made it a big stressful thing.  Thankfully, ANOTHER friend, Jennifer, who used to do cakes in the Publix bakery was willing to come hold my hand and help out where she could. So bright and early this morning, we set down to do the deed.  I already had all this stuff prepped and ready to go. All that was left was the carving, icing, and covering.  Eeek!

Before:



After:


Don't look too closely or you'll see what a pitiful job I did. :} Really, it's a bit rough around the edges but I am proud to have done it at all and pleased that Noah is amazed at his cake.  Mission Accomplished ... and done on about a $25 budget!

If memory serves me correctly, the last time I suffered through making a cake it was also for this boy of mine. But it was also for a variety of other reasons (3 hard to work around food allergies - yikes!).  That was FIVE years ago and he was turning a precious 2.


Both cakes were a labor of love, I tell you. Labor of LOVE.
Love you, Noah!

5 comments:

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I am SO impressed with your willingness and determination to attempt something like this. I'm pretty sure I'd have chickened out and just made a sheet cake and stuck Lego heads on it. ;-)

Seeing your masterpiece makes me think "oh the things we'll do for love." Great job Mama! I'm sure it makes all the stress and work worth it to know your boy is happy and impressed.

Memaw said...

You are an awesome Mom. You make everything so special for your children.

Amy Faye Brown said...

Girl, you nailed it! Like Elizabeth I am SO impressed!
Noah has a cool Mama!
So glad you are awesome!

Kimberly said...

Don't think that didn't cross my mind, Elizabeth. I had several plan b's ready to go if this project didn't work out! Ha!

Thank's y'all!

Emily said...

great job! I am terrified of trying to do fondant....I just buy LOTs of icing for my cakes :)