Oct 14, 2010

Taa Daa: Guest Bedroom

After I did the bulk of Anna's room, I tackled turning our 4th bedroom back into a guest bedroom.  Before this you may remember we got it set up for a third child.  Since that has not turned out to be in our immediate future, it made sense to turn this room back into a guest bedroom before it turned into a hurricane of a storage room.

Job 1 was to get a queen sized bed.  We got the bare bones frame, mattress, and box spring for as cheap as we could and at just the right sale. It ended up costing a little over $300.  I realized after the fact that we could have made out better with a Craig's list purchase.  I'll know for next time.

Job 2 was to make a headboard.  I have seen a million different ways to create, fake, alter headboards.  I was open to making a fabric one using board and staples, but then I had a brilliant hair-brained idea that worked out even better and quicker.  In the back of Noah's closet we still had the front rail from his bygone crib.  I painted it brown and Josh attached it to the frame.  Instant headboard.  Free headboard.  Happy Kimmie!


Job 3 was to buy bedding.  I hunted and hunted at a ton of stores and in the end got a clean and simple design from Kohl's.  At 40% off and with my 30% coupon, I got an already inexpensive comforter set and sheets for about $80.  Not bad.  I already had the print pillow and I grabbed the solid blue one for a $11 at Kohl's, too.

Job 4 was to paint the room.  It was still a light, light pink from the previous owners.  I upgraded to a neutral taupe/beige color in true HGTV style, keeping in mind that neutrals sell a house better than not.

Job 5 was to remove all the clutter that built up in just a few months:  baby gates, stuff for the next consignment sale, extra dining table chairs, 2 giant boxes holding Anna's Christmas present, Lego table we aren't using right now, book shelf we aren't using right now, extra wood flooring, giant box of games, Sam's sized bag of paper towel rolls, etc. etc. Now all that's in there is the bed, the dresser, 2 chairs, an ottoman, and a lamp.  Ok, my tub of consignment stuff, too, but there is just NOWHERE else to put that thing.


Job 6 was to add a little splash of color.  I followed in my favorite HGTV host's footsteps and made my own wall art by stapling fabric around a couple of canvas boards I had leftover from Anna's "before" room.  I love the texture and color and simplicity it adds to the room.  I also added brown and blue paint in two spots on the lamp I relocated to this room from the living room.  The parts I painted used to be red.  I left all the other walls blank.  We'll call it my take on minimalist design.  :)  Less is more.  Creates a soothing, non-cluttered space for easy breathing and maximum movability around the room.  Plus, it's just a guest bedroom that sits empty for 90% of the year. 

 
  
Job 7 was to add my meager accessories that used to be in our living room and haven't been used in awhile.  Now they can see the light again and collect some dust between guest visits.  I also added a $5 mirror on the back of the door, hung by yours truly.  Thank you for 3M products!


Now maybe I CAN be still ... until I figure out what I am going to do to spruce up Noah's room.

8 comments:

Emily said...

Oh My. WOrd. Kimberly...you should totally go into home redecortating on a dime or whatever taht saying is called. You seriously have talent and an eye for coordination and knowing what will look good. I am really REALLy impressed. Looks great!

Unknown said...

Great job lady! I'm impressed with your eye for design. I love watching those HGTV shows. I'm working on a redesign of our master bedroom right now. I'll have to consider that fabric art idea....so genious.

Now can I come for a visit? ;-)

Kimberly said...

Shannon - Uh, yeah! I know you are probably joking, but still, yeah! My zebra print sheets totally scream "Shannon!"

Laura Koslowsky said...

I am so impressed by both of the rooms. Great job girl! Enjoy them. Can't wait to see what you do with Noah's. Decorating kids rooms is so much fun. We decorated David's room when he upgraded to a "big boy bed" with a car theme. We had a bunch of signs and a working stoplight so got a comforter and stop sign rug to compliment and some cheap wall prints. It turned out really cute. He also had a toddler car bed for awhile which was really awesome.

Amy Faye Brown said...

IMPRESSED! VERY!

Kimberly said...

Noah's room has a touch of a vehicle theme so we won't be too far off ideas from David's. Mostly, I'm just sticking with new colors and staying within reach of the vehicle canvases in his room. We shall see...

Unknown said...

Doesn't Noah have the same vehicle theme as Jacob? The olive kids one? We had to redo his room but sort of kept the theme and bought a new solid red comforter from Company Kids, kept the vehicle sham and it works great. I didn't want to start completely fresh with new art, curtains and rug so this works for us for now. If I'm wrong you can just ignore my comment. :-)

Kimberly said...

Exactly right, Shannon! He had that Olive Kids transportation set for his toddler bed. When we moved up to a twin, I kept the the colors mostly and definitely the room decor I had to go with that theme and he got a patchwork quilt instead. But the quilt is just not thick enough to do winter, so I switched him to a comforter recently that I like the colors better for anyway. Got it at Target - navy blue with a big airplane blueprint on it...So Basically, so far, the main color scheme has changed from green, red, brown, to gree, navy, gray. But like you, we are still rolling with the vehicle thing we already touch on with the other decor in his room. :)