Mar 22, 2010

Recipe: Chicken Squares

This recipe comes compliments of my mom; it's one of the ones she made a lot when I was growing up. Somehow, I like it better now than I did back then. I like it more now than I did when I last made it, too, which was YEARS ago. I think then, in my cooking inexperience, working with the dough really unnerved me. I think. But now, NOW, I am surprised at how easy this was to whip up. And the kitchen smelled heavenly while it cooked. I was stumped as to why it has taken me so long to make this one again. Forgive me, chicken squares, I was wrong. You are tasty, you are scrumptious, you are easy to make. You are certainly worthy. :)

Chicken Squares

3 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 T. margarine, melted
2 c. cook, cubed chicken
2 T. milk, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper
1 T chopped onion or chive
8 oz. can crescent dinner rolls

Preheat oven to 350. In medium bowl, blend cream cheese and 2 T (reserve 1 T) margarine until smooth. Add all ingredients except crescent rolls. Mix well. Separate crescent dough into 4 rectangles, firmly press perforations to seal. Spoon 1/2 cup meat mixture onto center of each rectangle. Pull 4 corners of dough to top center of meat mixture, twist slightly and seal edges. Brush tops with reserved 1 T margarine. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 20-25 minutes. until golden brown.

Notes:
- As testimony to the yumminess of this dish, know this: BOTH my kids ate it. Right away. We call that a miracle.
- I finagle the rectangles into as close a square as I can manage before I put the meat on. It makes sealing the edges easier.
- I also used just a little more chicken so it would yield 6 instead of 4 squares. If you do this, be sure to have an extra can of crescent dinner rolls.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never made this, but have eaten it...I can testify that it is delicious! : )

Emily said...

I made that just a couple weeks ago. WE make 4, Lee eats 2 of them...I eat one and the girls split one. I like the idea of making six...because somehow we were all still hungry afterward...oh well. Good suggestion that I'll definitaly use next time.

Heather said...

Made this a few nights ago...but I made 8, adding a little extra of every ingredient. Super Yummy! Keep the recipes coming!