Dec 24, 2008

The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets

Time for a head count of books that I read this year. Looks like 39. And among them, my favorite was: The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice. Totally a chick-flick type book. So enjoyable. And written so well. I couldn't put it down. Then I sent it home with my sister and she devoured it as well. As I have admitted before, when I love a book, especially the writer's style, I have to mark it up as I go along. And so, this book is littered with my ink. I underlined a ton of things ... sometimes for the humor, sometimes for the emotion, often for the expression. Here's a little bit lengthy sampling of some of my favorite lines:

* Crying made her whole face swell up, as if she were allergic to her own tears.

* (speaking of a house) Magna sits like a sapphire among the trees - part birthday cake, part ocean liner, part sculpture, part skeleton- ...

* I have often wondered how Lady Lucy could have been so unbelievably dim...

* Some things are made to survive. I don't think a thousand wars could have destroyed that dress.

* He has acres of land, and more importantly, acres of style.

* I love her, she loves him. It's not the most original story in the world, is it?

* He's never been able to take rejection, which is so tiresome for us all.

* The room was so full of clutter and objects that it almost hurt the eyes.

* I felt my intellectual resolve weaken. I wanted everything, everything, everything - in fact, I felt myself positively winded by my need to consume.

* ... hot with annoyance.

* "You're what they call big-boned," diagnosed Vivienne with all the sympathy of the terminally petite

* Isn't it just dreamy? Everything's pure Narnia.

* I could have cheerfully murdered him.

* When the song finished, two and a half minutes later, something was different. I think we all felt it separately, each of us alone with our own little reasons for why the balance of the earth had shifted.

* "She thinks I'm lazy." "Aren't you?" "Of course. Any sensible person is."

* The glare of the sun on the snow bruised our eyes.

* I felt angry out of all proportion to the situation.

* She looked beautiful in the most understated way.

* Do you think any of them realize that the building behind them is far more fascinating than any of the fools inside it?

* "No! How long have you known each other?" gasped Hope, virtually winding me with the insult of her astonishment.

* The dark night spat hailstones against the windows.

* I wanted to gnash my teeth, but I wasn't sure how, so I let her go on.

* Without people like them, the house swayed, unhinged.

* I knew her well enough by now to understand the difference between Charlotte Dreaming and Charlotte Speculative.

* She's jolly beautiful until she opens that mailbox of a mouth.

* ... we battered the seriousness out of each other.

* "Can you keep a secret?" "Yes." Who, on hearing these words, ever says no? I wondered.

* Ooh! I had to stop myself from shouting out things about pots and kettles when she said that.

* We were young and the world spun for us alone.

* Where's little Penelope Wallace, havoc maker?

* Who was Papa? He was a million things that I would never know, and a million things that I had made him as a result of never knowing.

* I never imagined that the sun could be too bright for Aunt Clare. At times, she had seemed to bright for the sun.

* He was quite capable of divorcing extravagance from guilt - a quality that I quite envied in him.

* She was talking quicker and quicker - it was as if the truth was dawning on her and she needed to speak it before it crept away again.

* I experienced a happiness so acute it felt half holy: a happiness made all the more intense because I knew it was a limited happiness, just passing through.

* I bit my lip and choked back the tidal wave of salt water that threatened to spill from my eyes.

* "Oh, darling Penelope, don't cry!" Of course, tears take their cue from lines like this...

* Any house, great or small, ceases to seem real when the people you love are no longer there.

* Would it ever, ever leave? I had become used to the ache now; it was with me all the time, and never seemed to lessen. Time was no healer, I decided, but it was a great accommodator.

* "Rioting in the aisles," said Charlotte thoughtfully. "We must do some of that before the week's over."

* "I thought Magna was a dream house," admitted Charlotte, "but you know me, anything elaborate and romantic and ancient sends me into raptures."

1 comment:

Emily said...

yeah that was the catalyst book that got me wanting to read more books for the first time in my life! And yes, that's quite the lengthy list of quotes.