Dec 10, 2008

Heaven and Nature Sing

I don't know what it is about this time of year that brings the birds out. I would say they are migrating, but they don't seem to be leaving. HUGE groups of them gathering and flying overhead, trees to trees, yard to field and back. I know they are supposed to be called flocks, but these masses are much too big to be called flocks ... no, they are quite definitely SWARMS in my book. But my point here is this: I adore them! I love the chaotic yet controlled giant groups of birds and their wild path changes. I love that I can't see the end of the group in the sky as they go by...it is that huge. I love wondering how in the world they are not knocking into each other. I love the squawks and feathers I hear overhead and all around in the batch of trees behind our house.

And so, I think it is time for another list. In my list-making defense though, this list chose me and wouldn't stop pestering me until I got it down. :)

MY FAVORITE NATURE THINGS:

Flocks of birds in flight
A lone hawk on a telephone wire
Trees in the fall as they change color
Bare trees in the winter
Shallow brooks
Rainy days
Temps in the 70s
Shorelines
Mountaintop views
Puppies
Baled hayfields
Crops in rows
Stone walls
Cow pastures
Heavy, heavy rainfall

7 comments:

Emily said...

I like those things too :) Natural life is awesome.

Unknown said...

I'm hearing the rain fall as we speak and it's such a peaceful sound. I was just talking to Robbie about the bird swarm the other week. I commented on how they must be running into each other but it doesn't look like it. You always want to stay clear because your chance of getting pooped on is multiplied by like a thousand!!!! LOL

I'm facinated with weather and love to study cloud formations to predict the weather. I'm a nerd.

Anonymous said...

I have a kitten (that's nature) that I love. I've never really loved a kitten before but Kittyannie (thanks for the name,
Hannah) is actually very sweet. She takes walks with me and meows
the minute she knows I am up in the
morning. She is a "Purring machine" (Papa's words) She loves
being held and petted. I think of my good friend, Dee Dee, who does not let a little bird fall without
trying to nurse it back to health.

Kimberly said...

Shannon: I never knew you had a love affair with clouds and weather...I swear - have we even met?! :)

Mrs. Brown: Love that kitten name and I think I love that kitten, too, even though we haven't met. That made me think of the last kitten you kept for a day or so for Dee Dee in May 2006 while we were there for Noah. Remember?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I do love your lists! And especially this one since I could have written it myself...and I could add sunrises and sunsets and a bunch more. : )
And "anonymous" made me smile a bittersweet smile, thinking about our last kitty, sweet Callie, that "went to heaven" this week (sorry Emily)...we called her "Motorboat" since she always purred so noisily and contentedly. Who knows, there may be a "Kittyannie" in our future. : )

Kimberly said...

Oh Rhonda, I am so sorry about your Callie...I know that sad feeling well. Yes, I agree...a Kittyannie in your future would be quite fitting given how similar your Callie sounds to my mother-in-law's new feline friend.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heart-felt sympathy...Callie was Lee's kitty, so he may need some of your sympathy when he finds out. : )
I do like the term "Kittyannie" when referring to any future kitten...thanks Anonymous, for making me smile!