Apr 22, 2010

Exhale

Well. We just went through our second whirlwind day in the world of foster/adoptive care. Except today this whirlwind blew itself out.

Say Hello to Brandon - a sweet-natured, even-tempered, bright-eyed, imaginative, playful little boy.


And then say Goodbye - because that's about all we did, too.

A time line -

Yesterday:
Got the call about prospective placement at 11:00ish.
Decided by 1:00 to accept the placement.
All afternoon/night, we made calls, purchases, prayer requests, and plans.

Today:
All morning, we busted bootie to rearrange, set up, prep.
We left Noah and Anna with a new sitter at 1:00.
We met with Brandon's step mom at Agape at 2:00.
We left Agape with Brandon and garbage bags of his stuff at 3:00.
We got home with Brandon at 4:00.
We played outside for awhile and came in for dinner at 5:00.
We were called back at 6:00. Stepmom changed her mind.
We gave Brandon back at 7:00.
At 7:30, stare blankly at the wall and wonder what just happened. Try to process.

And, well - That's that. It is what it is. I won't go into retelling all the emotions and details of a day like this, yesterday, too, for that matter. It has left us winded on a couple levels and I think I'll just leave it at that. Given the nature of how this came about and fell apart, it might very well all change again by the time I would finish getting it all out anyway.

We feel ok. We feel exhausted - emotionally, physically. We feel a little jerked around, but we don't feel surprised. We walked into this foster-to-adopt case knowing it had risks. Josh feels a little disappointed. I feel a little like we just had a very close call. I feel unsure if I should feel guilty, relieved, upset, anything. We feel confused about how to understand what the Lord meant for us in this boy's situation. We are sad for him to return to the chaotic shamble that is his home situation, but we also respect the rightness of a child's best situation being with his family. If nothing else, we have an afternoon of pictures with a sweet little boy and we know him and his family by name and we can pray, pray, pray for them. Indeed, we will.


As a result of our brief custody of Brandon, we do feel a renewed perspective on the life we have with Noah and Anna. And as we process what just happened, we will continue to focus our hearts on pursuing the girl we hope (once again) will be at the end of this road for our family.

I think, I THINK, though, that we'll take a week off to regroup and get back to the business of adoption after Noah's birthday next weekend.

8 comments:

Emily said...

wow. Somehow you guys were used in that craziness of a situation. Maybe that was the Lord's intervening for some reason...who knows. But yes, what a VERY emotional day. Even My hearts aches for you and that boy and his family. And I'm not sure why...it's not even my life. But I love you guys and whoever the child is that is placed with y'all will be so blessed by it - you guys of course, too...even if it IS only for 3 or 4 hours.
You've certainly tasted the flavor of foster care, for sure.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

This was definitely not the post I expected to read this morning... no more than it was the post you expected you'd be writing last night. Wow. Though I can't even BEGIN to imagine all the thoughts you must be thinking and questions you must have, I am sure that God was glorified in your willingness to give, to love, to serve, and to let Him direct your steps... no matter what they be. Thinking of you and praying for you...

Heather said...

Ditto to exactly what Emily and Elizabeth said! I'm so thankful God is in control and not us. You are right in a great new family to pray for.

Kimberly said...

Thanks, guys. Elizabeth, your words are just what I needed to hear this morning.

Kate LaCasse said...

I'm not sure what to say. Just know that I'll be praying for all of you.

Unknown said...

Elizabeth hit it perfectly. I am certain that I'm watching God's work in your lives right now. I KNOW you gave generously of yourselves for that short time and I know that you'll continue to do so. I'll keep praying for you all and for little Brandon too.

Alison said...

I was so anxious for an update yesterday and my heart just broke when I read your words. I was so upset I couldn't even type anything... I've been praying for you guys several times over the last day. Thank you for sharing your inmost thoughts with us so that we know how to pray. Love you all!!

Kimberly said...

Thank, y'all. These comments have been an encouragement to us more than once - I read them over and over. :) Don't laugh at me.