Jul 13, 2014

Taa Daa: Crochet!

I have tried to learn to crochet twice before in my life.  First, as a child with my grandmother.  Didn't even almost get it then.  I can still see the picture of me on our couch with her in Mississippi ... not getting it.  Then a couple years ago my friend, Melissa, tried to teach me her crochet craft that she is so great at.  Having so recently learned to knit at that time, it just wasn't meshing in my brain with my knitting habits, so that didn't take either.  But then yesterday, I tried again with another friend, Emmie, and it finally stuck!  I learned a teeny bit, got started on a beanie


and then came home and crocheted the rest of it without training wheels.  And I really enjoyed it!


This and any others I make are being sent by Emmie with a stash of them to the orphanage she is currently adopting from in Lesotho, Africa.


Really excited about getting better at this.  I especially like how much faster it goes than knitting.  And how much more forgiving it is when you make a mistake. :) 

3 comments:

Elizabeth Bradley said...

This is SO fun. I would LOVE to learn to crochet and should have asked my grandmother to teach me while we were just in the states. Maybe (just maybe) one day we'll live close enough to each other that I could learn from you! :-)

Emily said...

That's what I've been saying when you started knitting... So much slower a job, and trying to fix the mistakes is maddening.

Brooklyn tried to learn too with her Great Grandma, but she just didn't get it either. Maybe when she's 35 :)

Kimberly said...

I LIKE that maybe, Elizabeth!!

Ha, Emily! Yes, definitely when she is 35. :}