Dec 12, 2013

Two-Wheelin' Noah

On our way to FL for Thanksgiving, we stopped to visit at my sister's as we always do.  It is so convenient that she is halfway between home and Josh's family!  While we hung out with them for the weekend, I took the opportunity for free time and a slanted yard to have Noah try to do the two-wheeler thing again.  Since he's had a bit of practice with his training wheels raised up off the ground for the most part, this ended up being really successful, so Noah was ready to give it a try in the street.  My sister volunteered to practice with Noah while she went for a run and it worked like a charm!  He took to it like a natural.

Cool looking gloves and helmet were necessary since his first solo flight was gonna be on his cousin's pink bike.  :}


I was worried Emily was going to expect too much from him too soon, but she was careful to give a little instruction before she even let him take off.  Phew!


Starting slowly with a little hand holding on the seat.


After a few moments, Noah was upgraded to just a hand on the back.


Stop again for a little adjustment and last-minute reminders.


First moments with no hands helping.  So exciting!


Go, Noah, go!  Not gonna lie, I cried a little.  Such a big milestone!


They went all the way around the block together! Impressed, I was.


I giggled to hear Emily say she didn't expect to have to run so hard to keep up with him on his first attempts at this.  It reminds me of when he started walking.  He waited so much longer than his peers to do it (16 mos!), but when he did, he did it easily and was running within minutes.  Same goes for biking apparently.  7.5 years in the making and he proved he was more than ready to get 'er done!


Proud biker and his tutor.  I think having Emily do the deed with him with smart.  He might have succumbed to tears with me or Josh, but with someone less close to home, he had to man-up and keep going instead of getting scared along the way.  And I just think it was so special to have shared this milestone with my sister. :)  Thanks for the assist, Emily!


On the way home from FL, Noah was begging to try some more at Aunt Emily's.  So we squeezed in a little more practice.



Back at home now, Noah is so proud of his new accomplishment and has already had Josh take off his training wheels (again) so he can show off his new skillz on his home turf.  I took this last shot because - you know me - I already have it listed to sell.  Ha!


It makes my heart smile to watch him go!


If all goes according to plan, Santa will be bringing him a slightly taller bike in a couple weeks.


Lookin' good, Noah!  So, so proud of you.

4 comments:

Emily said...

and I WAS SO HAPPY to get to be a part of the special moments! Only wish I could have recorded his giggles every single time he'd speed up (because I had to tell him to SLOW DOWN you're going TOO fast for me!) but he got to speed up more often because of his slow running aunt! What fun!!

I'll never forget how he was so tough after a fall (he didn't get hurt at all, but I'm sure it was scary)…got him back on the bike and he kept going…but then he fell apart at the end when y'all were there. I was like "what?! You did GREAT! why are you crying?!" it was all too much pent up nerves for him! Great job Noah! Good to see you on a boys bike now!!

Kimberly said...

I can so imagine the giggling at his newfound power. So him. And that was classic kid wasn't it? Falling apart once mom/dad were within reach. Ha! Love him.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

This is so precious. I love that your little man shared this with his Auntie Em (well at least that's what we call MY sister Emily. ;-)

Kimberly said...

:D