Jul 23, 2010

Amens: Matthew

More of the my favorite translations from The Message. Oh my word, I loved these.
  • Matthew 3:17 - "This is my Son, chosen and marked by my love, delight of my life."
  • Matthew 5:3-12 - (the entire Beatitude section - so good!!)
  • Matthew 5:13 - "Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness?"
  • Matthew 5:16 - Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.
  • Matthew 5:22 - The simple moral fact is that words kill.
  • Matthew 5:32 - You can't use legal cover to mask a moral failure.
  • Matthew 5:44,45 - I'm telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves.
  • Matthew 5:48 - In a word, what I'm saying is, Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you.
  • Matthew 6:1 - Be especially careful when you are trying to be good so that you don't make a performance out of it.
  • Matthew 6:9 - With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply.
  • Matthew 6:31,33 - What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. ... Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions.
  • Matthew 7:3,4 - That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is distorted by contempt?
  • Matthew 11:30 - "Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
  • Matthew 12:7 - "I prefer a flexible heart to an inflexible ritual."
  • Matthew 14:29,30,31 - He said, "Come ahead." Jumping out of the boat, Peter walked on the water to Jesus. But when he looked down at the waves churning beneath his feet, he lost his nerve and started to sink. He cried, "Master, save me!" Jesus didn't hesitate. He reached down and grabbed his hand. Then he said, "Faint-heart, what got into you?"

No comments: