Jul 27, 2010

07-27-02

8 years,
6 jobs,
4 moves,
3 dogs, 8 fish,
3 grandparents' passing,
2 graduate degrees,
2 children,
1.5 adoptions,
and 1 pregnancy ago,
Joshua and I tied the knot.


It amazes me to recall how little I really knew about Josh when we got married. A young bride just has no idea the treasure she has in her husband til she's partnered with him in big life events (and survived together), built a life of daily things (appreciating them as they come), and seen him kill it when it comes to being a hands-on daddy (when she really falls in love with him).

Some daily/daddy things I love about Josh lately:
  • Again and Still, how handy he is
  • How hard he works at his job and at home
  • How he makes breakfasts of bacon, eggs, french toast, fruit, etc. when he gets up with the kids
  • How he gets up with the kids every other morning
  • How he always overshoots his estimates of what time he'll get home - I'm always pleasantly surprised when he pulls in earlier
  • How he knows to salvage a giant box so the kids can play puppets in it
  • How he's on a blueberry pomegranate juice kick
  • How he's on a popcorn kick
  • How he listens to NPR to get to sleep each night
  • How he enjoys calling his parents every week
  • How he does every one of the kids' baths and all of Noah's bedtimes
  • How he plays with Noah and Anna as soon as he's home from work, before even changing from his shirt and tie
  • How messy his side of the bed is
  • How he takes both the kids upstairs with him to change when he's just gotten home
  • How he brushes Anna's wet hair off her neck after a bath because it bugs her
  • How he invites me to come sit on the back porch with him after the kids go to bed
  • How he breathes so loud while he's eating
  • How he's like a kid again when he plays video games w/Noah
  • How he calls Anna "Toodles"
  • How he roots for the Japanese whalers on "Whale Wars"
  • How he sewed Noah's favorite bear a new nose after he bit it off - because Lord knows I didn't know what to do with that needle and thread
  • How, as we talked about how stinky divorce is, he said, "When we're old, I wanna be sittin' at an Applebee's with you."
Loving you.
Loving the life we've made together.
Loving where we're headed still.

Happy Anniversary, babe!

3 comments:

Amy Faye Brown said...

Congratulations and happy anniversary! Rebeka and I were remembering the big event just the other day. You got yourself a good man. I would be jealous, but I snagged the older brother. :)

Elizabeth Bradley said...

This post made me smile. Congratulations on celebrating 8 years! I would tell you that you are certainly blessed with an amazing husband... but you already know that. ;)

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary! So, it's been 8 years since I've been in the presence of my Kimmie! Sniff.

That was the sweetest tribute to a husband I've ever read. I love the first paragraph and I might have to quote you on that someday. Perfectly stated.

An I love the Applebee's part. Awww. May you enjoy many years of happiness sitting on the back porch together.