Jun 7, 2010

Amens: Acts

So I finally, finally finished Acts. These are some stand-out verses for me from this translation, The Message.

Acts 2: 23,24 - ... this Jesus, following the deliberate and well-thought-out plan of God, was betrayed by men who took the law into their own hands, and was handed over to you. And you pinned him to a cross and killed him. But God untied the death ropes and raised him up.

Acts 2: 12 - Salvation comes no other way; no other name has been or will be given to us by which we can be saved, only this one.

Acts 15: 14 - ... build up muscle and sinew in those congregations.

Acts 20: 13 - "You're looking at this backward. The issue in Jerusalem is not what they do to me, whether arrest or murder, but what the Master Jesus does through my obedience. Can't you see that?"

Acts 26: 17 - " ' I'm sending you off to open the eyes of the outsiders so they can see the difference between dark and light, and choose light, see the difference between Satan and God, and choose God. I'm sending you off to present my offer of sins forgiven, and a place in the family, inviting them into the company of those who begin real living by believing in me.' "

Acts 26: 23 - "One, the Messiah must die; two, raised from the dead, he would be the first rays of daylight shining on people far and near; people both godless and God-fearing."

3 comments:

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Wow! I really like the way Acts 26:17 here says "see the difference between dark and light, and choose light, see the difference between Satan and God, and choose God." What an accurate description of sharing the gospel... and so applicable for our life here. It is SO true isn't it that we don't begin to really live until we believe that God is who he says he is and put our faith and trust in that. I just may have to use this verse on my blog soon. I really like it! Thanks for sharing! :)

Elizabeth Bradley said...

p.s. And I forgot to say that I also really like your daughter's adorable smirk in your new header photo. Too cute!

Kimberly said...

It does put it so clearly doesn't it. I get more excited about it when I have someone who gets excited about it with me. :) Thanks, Elizabeth!

I read a really good interpretation in Romans last night. The verse that is usually worded that "Abraham believed God" was instead worded that he "entered in to all God had planned for him." I read and reread and reread that word's new breakdown and just drank it in. And I thought, yes, yes! I choose to believe you, God, help me to do it more! I jump at the chance to "enter in" to what you have in mind for life. How could I not want to enter in?! And yet, in so many sinful ways a day, I disbelieve his best, I do not enter in. Oh. Such a good lesson from just that one word.