Jun 20, 2009

Wisdom from Ozzy

There are several thoughts that have lingered in my head and in our conversations lately. Then they were quickly and directly answered when I read some pages from My Utmost for His Highest the other day.

THOUGHT: I have felt like I don't do anything of importance. I just keep up with kids and routines day after day. ANSWER: Then I read this from Oswald Chambers: The great hindrance in spiritual life is that we will look for big things to do...There are times when there is no illumination and no thrill, but just the daily round, the common task. Routine is God's way of saving us between our times of inspiration. Do not expect God always to give you His thrilling minutes, but learn to live in the domain of drudgery by the power of God.

THOUGHT: We have wondered how to speak about and encourage adoption more effectively. ANSWER: Chambers put a clear point on how we are to just let our lives and our testimony speak for themselves: Never make a principle out of your experience; let God be as original with other people as he is with you. If you abandon to Jesus, and come when he says "Come," He will continue to say "Come" through you; you will go out into life reproducing the echo of Christ's "Come."

THOUGHT: We told ourselves we would start the next adoption when Anna is so and so years old, or when she is potty trained, or this or that, so that our hands and time would be more freed up for all that a foster child and the adoption process will need. In all our neat and tidy convenient-for-us-and-the-way-we-would-like-things-to-fall-into place planning, we have begun to grow restless. I do not sense that this restlessness is for nothing. We have been challenged recently to get a move on and get to bringing our next baby home (and by baby I mean kid, not baby as in baby baby). ANSWER: And then I read this from Oswald Chambers and I do not think it was a coincidence. I trust these chances and timings to be from the Lord. I know it is. We need to get a move on now!: [It] is an impertinence. It does not matter what our circumstances are, I can be as sure of abiding in Jesus in them as in a prayer meeting. I have not to change and arrange my circumstances myself...Think of the things that take you out of abiding in Christ - Yes, Lord, just a minute, I have got this to do; Yes, I will abide when once this is finished; when this week is over, it will be all right, I will abide then. Get a move on; begin to abide now.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Why have I never heard from your mouth about being restless for another adoption? Are you not my sister?! You must be more forthcoming with info...I could be praying for you guys and the little person that will become my family. Good grief. Good post!

Laura Koslowsky said...

Thanks for sharing those! I felt encouraged by reading them as well.