Jun 29, 2009

Lists to Live by for Smart Living

We have several in a series of books called Lists to Live By for various scenarios. I read a good list the other day called Life 101 and some of those line items I just had to echo here.

I'm learning...

* that a good sense of humor is like money in the bank. In life. On the job. In marriage.

* that a good attitude can control situations you can't. That any bad experience can be a good one. It all depends on me.

* that you can do something in an instant that will give you heartache for life.

* that if I'm standing on the edge of a cliff, the best way forward is to back up.

* that you don't fail when you lose; you fail when you quit.

* that too many people spend a lifetime stealing time from those who love them the most, trying to please the ones who care about them the least.

* that having money isn't nearly as much fun as I thought it would be when I didn't have any. That money buys less than you think.

by Phil Callaway - Condensed from Who Put the Skunk in the Trunk?

2 comments:

Kimberly C said...

Hey Kimberly!

Here's a few book suggestions:
1) Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison. It's an interesting read to get some window into what it's like living with Asperger's. Also, a pretty quick read.

2)A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass. The book I mentioned that was about synesthesia. It's written as a kids book, so it's an easy read. If you search synesthesia in literature in Wikipedia, you can find some other options.

3) Anything by Lois Lowry. Somehow I never read her stuff as a kid and have recently begun picking them up. Read The Giver last year and The Messenger recently. While they may be written at a kids level, the story line and morals certainly aren't.

4) The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. It's like the movie, only much better because you are able to understanding a little more about why the characters must to do what they do. Definitely adult book - but I remember not being able to put it down.

Hope this helps!

Kimberly said...

Thanks, Kimberly!!