Nov 10, 2008

You're Gonna Miss This


I have figured out (again) the secret of getting through a tough phase in life...and that is to remember that it is just that - a phase, temporary, for a time...a moment really in the scheme of life and eternity. This was recently suggested to me by a good friend of almost 14 years now, Heather, when she encouraged me to try to appreciate Anna's early crying, crying, crying fits because she'd only be that little and crying for so long. Point taken. Then I kept hearing songs that seemed to address the concept of choosing to appreciate things that would ordinarily bug you...you know, see the positive side of a situation instead of focusing on the bad (Brad Paisley's Waitin' on a Woman, Kenny Chesney's Don't Blink, etc). And then I heard this song "You're Gonna Miss This" by Trace Adkins (lyrics listed below). I listened to it again and decided it is my mantra for these days of my life - because to be certain - maintaining a toddler and baby all day, all week (nights too) all while enduring almost NO adult interaction is a stretch on my sanity, and if I'm not careful, my happiness. Particularly, the chorus and the 3rd verse speak to my situation lately. And when I hear it, or see the video, I sure do well up with tears of appreciation and thankfulness that I have plenty of time to make good on this reminder and not ruin my memory of my babies' early days by being grumpy and wishing they would hurry up, grow up, and be less work. Yes, I am convinced that when I look back on my life, I am gonna miss all this.


"You're Gonna Miss This" by Trace Adkins

She was staring out the window of their SUV
Complaining, saying "I can't wait to turn 18"
She said "I'll make my own money, and I'll make my own rules"
Mamma put the car in park out there in front of the school
Then she kissed her head and said "I was just like you"

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Before she knows it she's a brand new bride
In a one-bedroom apartment, and her daddy stops by
He tells her "It's a nice place"
She says "It'll do for now"
Starts talking about babies and buying a house
Daddy shakes his head and says "Baby, just slow down"

Cause you're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Five years later there's a plumber workin' on the water heater
Dog's barkin', phone's ringin'
One kid's cryin', one kid's screamin'
And she keeps apologizin'
He says "They don't bother me.
I've got 2 babies of my own.
One's 36, one's 23.
Huh, it's hard to believe, but...

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this"



Something else, completely off topic, but so, so, funny. I was asking myself today where that addictive, precious baby smell comes from. Where is its origin, anyway? I am changing Anna's diaper as I contemplate this mystery and sure enough, that baby girl lets go a GIANT toot! (I say toot instead of a more fitting, unpretty word because my baby girl is just too pretty and too sweet to say that word and her name in the same sentence - but you get my drift..it was GIANT). I laughed and laughed and laughed at the uncanny timing of her...sound contribution...to the very question that asked where her sweet baby smell came from. Wrong answer, Anna, wrong answer. But so, so funny to me, too.

9 comments:

Emily said...

Man I just love that song! I love the pictures you posted...though I think you should've posted some of Anna crying to get your point across :) hee hee.

Emily said...

oh...and a video of Noah so sweetly aggravating someone...like Brooklyn, haha. Good times! :)

Emily said...

YOU ARE HILARIOUS...I must have missed out on that last bit, but I just reread it, and laughed so hard! So I then read it to Lee who then, looked over my shoulder and said, "isn't more funny when you're the one that's commented on her blog 3 times in row? Now THAT'S funny"

Kimberly said...

Kudos to Lee, that IS funny. :)

Unknown said...

LOL at your tooting little angel. Perfect timing, huh?

You said it so perfectly! We will miss this. I miss the baby stage already and he's just 3! I will say that I'm just missing it lately but it took me a few years to get all googly eyed at the sight of a baby again.

Ellen said...

That song makes me teary also and I so often think of it when being a parent of a newborn and toddler gets tough! And when it is wonderful. Davis and I jumped in the leaves today -- he is still going to do that with me when he is 15, right???!!

Heather said...

Kimmie, I think of that song ALL THE TIME!!!! It's so true. One day when the kids are all grown up, I'll miss them asking me to read a gazillion books to them before they go to bed, or insisting to sit on my lap while I leave a comment on your blog (like right now). Enjoy it! I don't, always enjoy whining for sure and I definately need many breaks. The 3rd verse so reminds of my life. Crying baby, screaming toddler, and (no barking dog), just a third child whining! But love them all!

Amy Faye Brown said...

Your niece is 13 1/2 and we are already discussing how the dynamics of our family are rapidly changing. We figure we might have about 2 1/2 years left where she might remotely want to spend time with us. Not working right now is a huge blessing even though the money is hugely tight. But I'm with her and Aaron every day and these are moments we will never get back.

Anonymous said...

Oh you will, you will, you will! Because I do, I do, I do! Well, some of it anyway. : ) My (formerly colicky, crying)baby is 21, living halfway across the country, and is that brand new bride living in that one bedroom apt, whose daddy has said "it's a nice place"...oh yeah, you're gonna miss this, because I do. : )

To Amy: if she still wants to spend time with you at 13 1/2, count your blessings and don't count on 2 1/2 yrs more...but I hope you get them, and don't worry, she'll be back. : )