Jul 19, 2010

The Go-Ahead

I have been getting antsy. Chomping at the bit. I'm itching to reorganize and redecorate Anna's room. I have been looking at color schemes, bed spreads, girly decor, and planning a new layout for her in preparation for when she's ready for a bed instead of a crib. I've known for awhile it could be any day now. She is fully capable of climbing out of that bad boy. It just hasn't occurred to her to try yet, so we've let it be. But I have been so there, just waiting for that girl to give any signs of readiness to move out of her crib.

Yesterday, I had to actually force myself not to make Josh go ahead and move the twin bed into Anna's room. It was a close call - we had the down time, it's on my mind, I have the excuse of calling it transition to just get the bed in her room so she can warm up to the idea and so it's there when we need it. In the end, I held off, telling myself there was no hurry. Don't rush these days, Kimmie. Move at her pace. Don't force this milestone just because you're in a decorating kind of mood. So we didn't move the bed. But let the record show that I have been waiting on pins and needles for the go-ahead to upgrade Anna's sleeping arrangements.

And today, today, the girl gave me that go-ahead. It's like I knew in my bones it was coming. She got her leg stuck in the slats of her crib while jumping and clamoring around after her nap and pulled the rail on that side half off. Not good, and certainly not safe. That's all I needed to hear. Go-ahead received!

And now, oh joyous now, there is a new (albeit old, really) bed in her room.
Before:


Semi-After (because the crib is still there):


This week we will count down her last days in the crib. As soon as Josh gets home from his trip this weekend, we will move that girl into her first big-girl bed. In the meantime, I will watch her like a hawk on the video monitor. And I just might go ahead and start officially shopping for a sweetie-pie bedspread to base her color scheme off of, too. What fun!

Baby girl gets a new bed...


... and Mama gets the go-ahead!

2 comments:

Memaw said...

Does this mean a trip to Home Depot to get new paint too?

Kimberly said...

You bet! I'm thinking baby blue and white with red and pink accents.

But the only bedspread I have found that gets me jazzed up and makes me think of her is more blues and greens (trees, owls, birds on it) ...but there are pinks in it and some light oranges, too, so her walls might be a good starting point orange already. Who knows?

I am stalking ebay to see if i can find it used. I did, too, but it was for full sized. Crossing my fingers a twin shows up...