Dec 2, 2016

Festivities

This Christmas is more festive in my heart than last.  I don't know if you remember, but I just could NOT get in the spirit last year.  And when I did, it took effort.  This year, I don't feel like I am lagging at all.  So, yay for that!

We got the tree put up over the weekend (don't get me started about how fun it is to see it through a little one's eyes again this year, now that Lasa can tell something is going on) ...


... and got ornaments and lights up midweek, before December started, by the skin of our teeth.  We waited til Lasa went to bed, because ... toddler! This year I let the kids put up all the ornaments and I only went in for adjusting spacing and such after that. ;)


Anna was so inspired by the tree's return and decor that she put on a Santa hat, made a microphone, and sang Christmas songs for us to kick off the season.


True story, the next day, half the lights died.  HA!!  Hoping to get back in brightly lit shape this weekend.  I went ahead and got our Christmas cards ordered over Thanksgiving, and already have them addressed and mailed.   Pretty happy with how they turned out!


Instead of a Lego advent calendar, Josh whipped up some daily poems and surprises for the kids.  I didn't even know about this til I got up in the morning.  So fun!


We've gotten our Jesse tree devotions underway, and have even upgraded an ornament after some input from the kids.  You won't be surprised to know, it was upgraded with a Lego piece.  I present to you our new Stump of Jesse.


With the decking of our halls came our beloved play Nativity set.  Lasa beelined for the baby Jesus when she laid eyes on it.  I giggled at her delight and sighed to myself in prayer, asking the Lord to always make it so - that she be drawn to Jesus all the days of her life. 


We have even already been to a Christmas party this week - the annual Jonah's Journey Christmas Dinner - and it was a lovely evening out.  Such a blessing - they provide childcare, dinner (for the kids too), speaker, gifts, and precious downtime with the JJ family and leadership.  The night flew by for me!


Tomorrow we will see about getting the kids their own little tree, because you know I still struggle with letting their choice of ornaments mix with my Santas on my tree, no matter how chill I have tried to become over the past couple years.  HA! And if Anna has her way, she will get outside with Josh to get SOME sort of lighting decor on the front of the house. ;) 

On another note, now that we know the Lasababe is staying in our family (something that was the furthest thing from our minds this time last year), I am on the hunt for a Baby's First Christmas ornament for 2015 for her ... with a Santa theme like my other babies' keepsake ornaments.  Not easy to do in a different year!  I can tell I am going to have to just find an ornament I like and try to personalize it to do the job retroactively. Good project! 

Anyway - in the interest of other festive happenings for this post, the kids are watching their first Polar Express of the season right now as I type. Meanwhile, Josh is pulling double duty by taking every last ornament back off the tree to be able to get the ridiculous strands of unlit lights off.  :}

PS - Lasa's been awesomely obedient about not touching the tree, though she is quite impressed with it. 

 
Season's Greetings!

2 comments:

Emily said...

"Whipped together" poems?! Whoa. I'm def impressed!

Kimberly said...

Me too! Especially since he stared at me so blankly in confusion when I wanted his help writing rhyming clues for Anna's birthday scavenger hunt. :}