Oct 2, 2013

Scripture Saved from 2012

Yes, you read that right, 2012.  This is officially the longest standing line-item on any of my to-do lists.  Ever!  It has literally been sitting next to my computer waiting to by typed up for 10 months. So funny, so sad, so true.  Anyway, moving on ...

Last year our church read through the HCS Chronological Bible together.  I was excited to finally read this translation in its entirety and even better that I could finally read a chronological version at the same time.  Two birds, one stone!


Now I have read through the Bible many times, but for this specific read-thru, in this format and this translation, these are the verses that grabbed my attention and my heart.  I got behind in my reading at times, I was hauling it through the assigned passages other times. I am sure there were things I missed in my haste during some weeks or months, but I trust that all those things were allowed in the map of God's sovereignty over my year and my tedious thoughts. These few verses I actually stopped to mark along the way were significant to my eye and my heart for a reason.  These are the only ones I marked all year!  In the interest of a crazy long post, I won't type out what I took from them all, but I did bold the parts that spoke to me the most.

Job 39: 3-5
Then Job answered the Lord:  I am so insignificant, How can I answer You? I place my hand over my mouth ... I can add nothing.

Psalm 19:7-9
The instruction of the Lord is perfect, renewing one's life; the testimony of the Lord is trustworthy, making the inexperienced wise.  The precepts of the Lord are right, making the heart glad; the command of the Lord is radiant, making the eyes light up.  The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the Lord are reliable and altogether righteous.

Psalm 19:11-14
In addition, Your servant is warned by them; there is great reward in keeping them.  Who perceives his unintentional sin? Cleanse me from my hidden faults.  Moreover, keep Your servant from willful sins; do not let them rule over me. Then I will be innocent and cleansed from blatant rebellion.  May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to You, Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.

Exodus 14:13-14
But Moses said to the people, "Don't be afraid.  Stand firm and see the Lord's salvation He will provide for you today; for the Egyptians you see today, you will never see again.  The Lord will fight for you; you must be quiet."

Exodus 17:15-16
And Moses built an altar and named it, "The Lord is my Banner."  He said, "Indeed, my hand is lifted up toward the Lord's throne."

Deuteronomy 4:6, 7, 9
Carefully follow them [God's commands], for this will show your wisdom and understanding in the eyes of the people.  ... For what great nation is there that has a god near to is as the Lord our God is to us whenever we call to Him? .... Only be on your guard and diligently watch yourselves, so that you don't forget the things your eyes have seen and so that they don't slip from your mind as long as you live.  Teach them to your children and grandchildren.

Deuteronomy 4:15, 23 be careful,  5:32 Be careful to do as the Lord your God has commanded you; you are not to turn to the right or the left.  6:3, 12 be careful,  6:17 carefully observe, 7:12 careful, 8:1 You must carefully follow, 8:11,14 be careful that you... 11:13 if you carefully obey, 11:22 carefully observe every one..., 11:32 be careful to follow all the statutes. 

Deuteronomy 11:18-20
Imprint these words of mine on your hearts and minds, bind them as a sign on your hands, and let them be a symbol on your foreheads.  Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates...

Deuteronomy 30: 11-16
This command that I give you today is certainly not too difficult or beyond your reach.  It is not in heaven so that you have to ask, "Who will go up to heaven, get it for us, and proclaim it to us so that we may follow it?" And it is not across the sea so that you have to ask, "Who will cross the sea, get it for us, and proclaim it to us so we may follow it?"  But the message is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, so that you may follow it.  See, today I have set before you life and prosperity, death and adversity.  For I am commanding you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in His ways, and to keep His commands, statues, and ordinances, so that you live and multiply, and the Lord your God may bless you in the land you are entering to possess.

Psalm 54: 1,4,6
God, save me by Your name, and vindicate me by Your might!  God is my helper; the Lord is the sustainer of my life.  I will praise Your name, Yahweh, because it is good.

Psalm 63:3-4
My lips will glorify You because Your faithful love is better than life.  So I will praise You as long as I live; at Your name, I will lift up my hands.

Isaiah 40:22, 25, 28, 31
God is enthroned above the circle of the earth..."Who will you compare Me to. Or who is My equal?" asks the Holy One. ... Do you not know? Have you not heard? Yahweh is the everlasting God, the Creator of the whole earth; He never grows faint or weary; there is no limit to His understanding. ... but those who trust in the Lord will renew their strength; they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not faint.

Isaiah 41:9-10
I have chosen you and not rejected you;  Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will hold on to you with My righteous right hand.

Psalm 106:13, 24  
They soon forgot His works and would not wait for His counsel. ... They despised the pleasant land and did not believe His promise.

Romans 1:21-23, 25
For though they knew God, the did not glorify Him as God or show gratitude.  Instead, their thinking became nonsense, and their senseless minds were darkened.  Claiming to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images... They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshipped and served something created instead of the Creator, who is praised forever.  Amen.

Romans 2:3-4, 13
Do you really think - anyone of you who judges those who do such things yet do the same - that you will escape God's judgement? Or do you despise the riches of His kindness, restraint, and patience... For the hearers of the law are not righteous before God, but the doers of the law will be declared righteous.

Romans 8:6
For the mind-set of the flesh is death, but the mind-set of the Spirit is life and peace.

Romans 11:33-36
Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and the knowledge of God!  How unsearchable His judgements and untraceable His ways!  For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been His counselor?  Or who has ever first given to Him and has to be repaid?  For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things;  To Him be the glory forever.  Amen.

Romans 12: 1, 2
Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual act of worship ...  Be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God.

(NA) Philippians 2:13-15
For it is God who is working in you, enabling you both to desire and to work out his good purpose.  Do everything without grumbling and arguing, so that you may be blameless and pure, children of God who are faultless in a crooked and perverted generation, among whom you shine like stars in the world.

(NA) Colossians 2:6-7
Therefore, as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, overflowing with gratitude.

Colossians 3:2, 15
Set your minds on what is above, not on what is on the earth. ...And let the peace of the Messiah, to which you were also called in one body, control your hearts.  Be thankful.

Colossians 4:2
Devote yourselves to prayer; stay alert in it with thanksgiving.

Revelation 19:11-13
Then I saw heaven opened, and there was a white horse.  Its rider is called Faithful and True, and He judges and makes war in righteousness.  His eyes were like a fiery flame, and many crowns were on His head.  He had a name written that no one knows except Himself.  He wore a robe stained with blood, and His name is the Word of God.

As I read these again while typing them out, I got so jazzed!  If it wouldn't be annoying and overuse, I would have them all in bold like a big shouting sermon.  God's word packs the best punch!  So much heavy-hitting truth!  So much strength and firm teaching.  I love scripture!  I wish I could keep my spirit always primed and ready for more.  Being so human (weak and distracted in spirit) is so limiting and frustrating!

5 comments:

Amy Faye Brown said...

Alright ,Missy, you inspired me with this and I was thinking I needed to do something similar. Well, lo and behold, if this didn't pop up in my newsfeed tonight with an offer for $2.99 for my kindle app. So I snagged it right up. (Sadly, I've become what I claimed I wouldn't...an avid e-reader. I've forsaken my beloved ink and paper.)

Kimberly said...

I would LOVE to let you have my copy of it, too. I won't need it again now that I saved all my marks here. :} That is, if you can rekindle your love affair with ink and paper.

Kimberly said...

PS - I have three books I was gonna pass off to you at Thanksgiving as well.

Amy Faye Brown said...

I would love it...and yay to new books. :)

Kimberly said...

Great! Then that brings my book count up to 4 for you then. :)