Jun 22, 2013

Off the Wall ... of my Brain

  • I am in a rare mood where i just want all the world to stay out of my face.  Accordingly, we stayed home every day of this past week, not counting swim lessons and drs appts.
  • Did I ever tell you we have sea monkeys now?  And I almost killed them already by forgetting to feed them for four days.  No worries, they are fine and ... reproducing already.  I hate that I know where this is going though ... into the toilet eventually.  Poor things.  I seem to be the only one who pays them any attention.  Just like the fish days and the caterpillar days.
  • We dropped $1100+ on car repairs and a big maintenance check up for the Acadia this month.  As many times as that car has been to the shop in 5 years, this is the first time we have actually had to pay for anything.  I can't complain about that, I suppose, but I sure don't like the feeling of our short-term savings account sitting on zero now.  
  • Chewie's summer kill count is up to a total of 7 birds, 3 moles, and one snake (technically killed by Josh, but found by Chewie) ... and 2 mice via Josh's workshop glue traps. 
  • Swim Lessons are officially over for this year.   Noah did great, as did Anna.  They were both so ga-ga for their respective teachers that they made the sweetest cards for them on their last days. Anna, especially, was quite sad to see her class end and cannot wait to start again in March.  When I watch my babies spend more time under water than above it while they are playing in the pool, I am so glad for the time they spent at Sea Star and so glad their fear of water is behind them.
  • We downgraded to basic cable this month to lower the bill and it only hurts a little.  I was mourning a few channels that I no longer got as a result ... and then I discovered we do still have them in the lower channels that are not HD.  That's better than nothing, so Kimmie is thrilled!
  • We recently finished watching an HBO mini-series via Netflix.  It was so interesting!  John Adams. Check it out!
  • We've gotten our first cucumber and tomatoes finally this month.  Noah eats them as soon as they come off the vine though, so I have to hurry to get them before he does.
  • We got a surprise check in the mail this week from a class-action lawsuit we entered a claim in waaaaaaay back in AL when I was pregnant with Anna.  It pertained to diamonds bought during certain years ... the years when Josh got my engagement ring and also my earrings.  When we moved, I figured we'd missed out on hearing back how that all turned out.  And then I forgot all about it in the 5 years since....until we got $77 for our cut in the mail this week.  How cool is that?
  • Noah got his first sealants this week on his six-year molars and I can't wait for the rest of his permanent teeth to make their way into the world so we can slap sealants on the rest of them, too.  He got two more fillings on a couple baby molars while we were there, too.  I have 3 cavities myself that I am none too thrilled about.  But at least it's not the FIVE that a substitute dentist tried to tell me I had. :S  I hate the idea of getting those fillings and will probably wait awhile to get my brain around it first.  In 34 years, I have only ever had one cavity ... back when I was 21 and I disputed it even then, too. So the news that I have a few more is not welcome but, now that I have a second opinion on them, it is at least believable. 
  • We have been broke as a joke this month (last month, too, honestly) and have put all our spending on lock-down.  In fact, we went on such lock down that it looks like we'll have extra money at the end of the month.  I think that is hilarious.  And motivating!  Disney in December is calling our name and we need to save some more moolah!
  • In other money woes, Chewie has another UTI and I had to drop more stupid cash on that fact. Grrrr. Remind me not to let the kids talk me into another dog after he dies. I hate spending money on an animal ... especially when we are bleeding money on dental stuff and car stuff and are generally broke as joke as indicated above. 
  • Can't believe my littlest baby is knocking on 5 YEARS OLD in just three months!
  • That fact alone has us talking again about our next adoption... Just talking.  But talking all the same.

5 comments:

The White Family said...

Ha! "Remind me not to let the kids talk me into another dog after he dies. I hate spending money on an animal". You were one of the ones that was so sure we would get a dog when we bought our first house and you were so pro-dog! Look at you now! :) I would like to rent a dog for a little while so that the "landlord/owner" would have to pay for the maintenance/doctors bills and I could give it back when I was bored with it! Yep, I definitely not pro-dog!

Amy Faye Brown said...

I stay in the broke stage. No bueno.
I feel your pain. :). Aaron is having a crown put on and insurance won't cover it...over $800. I HAD to buy new tires...$735. Just celebrated one child's birthday and fixing to celebrate another...don't even ask. Oh, and one leaves for college and needs stuff and the other will need new school clothes soon. You'd feel better about your situation if you could see our bank accounts I'm sure. And, we have back-to- back company in two weeks. I really, really need that full- time teaching job. :)

Kimberly said...

Seriously, Kasey! It's just not the same after having kids. I just can't make my heart care for a dog like I did before kids. :S

Amy, I bet I would feel better because misery loves company, not because we have any more cash at the end of the month than y'all! Trust me. And I am perched on the edge of my seat in anticipation of where you land your first classroom job. :)

Emily said...

Keep talking! Keep Talking!!!! Can't wait to see what's in store for you guys! Can't wait to meet our future family member! (whenever that time arrives). I'm just excited your ready to talk about it again.

I love my dog...But I may not love her so much if I had to funnel money into her regularly like you do. We don't though, so Tink's like a member of the family...can't imagine nto having her around!

Kimberly said...

Things we talk about ... the age we would desire ... how great Noah would be with a new little brother ... then we end up in giggles when Anna expressed her concern that there would be too many boys.