Jun 12, 2013

My Apologies

You have my apologies for getting repetitive. I know I already said it was swim lesson time.  And I know I already said Noah is killing it.  And I know it is apparent that I am so relieved and excited about that.  But today was a new milestone in the swimming department, so I can't help but report it!

Yesterday, Noah swam freestyle farther than he's ever done before.  That's him waaaaaay over on the right with his teacher, Scott, having him look back and see how far he went.  He started over there on the left where the girl in the pink swim cap is.  So basically, about 3/4 of a very long pool.


Today, however?  Today, he swam the ENTIRE length of the pool.  All by himself.  All freestyle. And that with his new skill of turning his head sideways to breathe instead of coming straight up and stopping between strokes to do so.


Also, he did it with 4 strokes to a breath, which is something Scott has been coaching him towards since Day 1.  In his anxiety, Noah tends to want to breathe after two strokes, so it took a lot of effort, but he really rose to the occasion.  It was SO MUCH FUN to watch him go from one end to the other. So much fun to see his swim teacher single him out, to challenge him, and recognize that he was capable.  So much fun to have the other mom watching him comment on how good he is and ask how old he is. Just so much fun to watch Noah do well at something that terrorized him last year.  What a difference a year makes.

Also, today Noah swam half the pool backstroke, which is unnerving for him, but exciting at the same time.  I pointed out to him what an honor it is, too, since the other kids in his class are not being taught that yet.  Just him.

I am just sorry I didn't have my camera with me today to document the whole distance he swam, but I will be sure to get more pics before swim lessons are over.  And I will be sure to apologize again for bragging on my boy again.  I just didn't expect him to be tackling so much so quick!  Today is only day 3 of his class. Can't imagine what he'll be ready for by Day 8.  What fun!

Go, Noah!

1 comment:

Emily said...

yay!!!! Noah!! Great job Boy!