Apr 16, 2013

The Resolution for Women

I just finished reading The Resolution for Women by Priscilla Shirer for the second time and I recommend it as highly as I did after the first read through last year.  It is well done, not watered down, relatable, and highly instructive, challenging and encouraging in the same breath.  It is a spin-off of the movie Courageous and, like what is covered in the movie, it's a list of resolutions - but tailored to women instead.  I have many, many talking points from its pages and have been thankful to have been able to share these and talk about these at our MOPS meetings this year.  But for the purpose of this post, I just wanted to save the actual Resolutions: At-a-Glance that were covered in each section.  Loved this book and so thankful to have been introduced to it!
  • I DO solemnly resolve before God to embrace my current season of life and live with a spirit of contentment.
  • I WILL champion God's model for womanhood and teach it to my children.
  • I WILL celebrate my God-given uniqueness and the distinctions He has placed in others.
  • I WILL live as a woman answerable to God and faithfully committed to his Word.
  • I WILL seek to devote the best of myself to the primary roles God has entrusted to me.
  • I WILL be quick to listen, slow to speak, and esteem others more highly than myself.
  • I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.
  • I WILL not tolerate evil influences in myself or my home but will embrace a life of purity.
  • I WILL pursue justice, love mercy, and extend compassion toward others.
  • I WILL be faithful to my husband and honor him in my conduct and in my conversations, and will aspire to be a suitable partner for him to help him reach his God-given potential.
  • I WILL teach my children to love God, respect authority, and live responsibly.
  • I WILL cultivate a peaceful home where God's presence is sensed.
  • I WILL make today's decisions with tomorrow's impact in mind and will consider my current choices in light of future generations.
  • I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory.
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. (Joshua 24:15)

7 comments:

Emily said...

OH.My.Word.

I have been looking through a bunch of studies to suggest for our SS girls summer study. it's a book right? No videos, just a book?

Perfect. And I've heard of her too. Even better.

Kimberly said...

Yep, just the book. Each resolution/section have 3 little chapters. And there are discussion questions at the end of each chapter.

Another FANTASTIC book is one I am reading the devotional for now... Unglued. I am already typing up a post about quotes from that one and I have only been reading it for 3 days. So good.

Emily said...

I just downloaded Unglued to my Kindle. $3.49 was all it cost. Soooo excited to get started!!!

I just told her I'd do it. *swallowing the knot in my throat, and avoiding the thoughts of my heart also pounding in my throat, and my face turning obvious red.

Like you said, Putting on my big girl pants. I may have to call you right before I go though. :) Lord give me calmness and openness while I help *lead* the study...

Kimberly said...

Hooray! I hear the nerves, but what I heard first was your excitement. :) You will be great. Just a natural conversation.

The White Family said...

I love Priscilla! We're finishing up her Jonah study with our Bible Study now. I might have to suggest this one for our next study!

Kimberly said...

I hear that, Kasey! This was the first I have ever read/studied from her and I made a note to check out more of her teaching on Amazon. Like her a lot!

The White Family said...

I like her videos better than Beth Moore! She is just an amazing speaker! Find a video online that she's done. So awesome!